Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Not Loading

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 buholley

buholley

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:21 PM

it was necessary for me to change modems recently, but after installing the drivers for the new modem, the computer wouldn't recognize it. i tried 'picking it from a list', when given that option, but my modem was not in the list, and attempts to use the generic modem designations didn't work.

at this point, i removed the cover of the computer, which is a Compaq, with windows 98SE as the OS. i tried the modem in a different port - same result. at this point, i made the mistake of removing what i believe is called the drive controller (which was in one of the ports) and relocating it to another port. i then tried the new modem in what was previously the driver controller port. the computer still wouldn't recognize the modem, so i removed the modem and put things back where they were.

well, ever since then, when i boot up, i eventually get a message on the screen, saying 'bios not loaded' and it gives a reason having to do with 'timeout' of the SCSI. there's an "F1 boot" that appears in the lower left hand corner of the monitor screen, and when i click that, windows loads in the normal fashion and i'm able to use my programs. however, it seemed to affect the floppy drive for some reason. perhaps i bumped something while tinkering inside the computer - i don't know.

i have attempted to 'restore defaults' from the 'setup' screen after clicking "F10", but that doesn't help.

at this point, i'm not as worried about the modem issue as i am about the 'bios' matter.

can you help?

thanks.

Edited by buholley, 16 December 2005 - 11:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:30 AM

If I'm clear on what you have described you are getting a message the the BIOS on the SCSI card controller is not loading. On a server the BIOS would allow the card to boot a SCSI drive instead of a IDE drive. When you unplugged it you probably cleared the SCSI BIOS. I you choose F1 to enter the SCSI BIOS you can turn the BIOS Boot feature off. It will not hurt anything o leave it. Do you have any SCSI devices on your computer?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 buholley

buholley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:40 AM

by SCSI devices, i'm not sure what you mean. i have two CD-Rom's and a floppy drive, and the CD-rom's appear to be working fine. the floppy isn't, however.

the exact message i get is

"timeout failure during SCSI inquiry command! bios not installed!"

is there any way to restore the BIOS? it sounds like an integral part of the system, from what i've read in a windows book i have.

i forgot to mention that when i attempt to use the SCSI disk utilities feature (where it scans), the computer locks up at SCSI ID #4 for a minute, then gives me the message "unexpected timeout has occurred!"

when you suggest that i use F1 to turn the boot feature off, i'm not sure of what you mean exactly. i'm a far cry from computer literate, though i can negotiate commands and understand the basics.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:00 AM

The scanner on your system, is it USB? The card you described in your original post, did it have a device connected to it?

#5 buholley

buholley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:42 PM

it does have a device connected to it via cable, but there are no USB devices connected to this computer, at least of the external variety. it does have USB ports but i've yet to use them.

thanks.

Edited by buholley, 17 December 2005 - 10:43 PM.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:13 PM

That sound like either a SCSI or a Parallel (printer) device. It sounds like you have a SCSI device, from what you described in your original POST.

at this point, i removed the cover of the computer, which is a Compaq, with windows 98SE as the OS. i tried the modem in a different port - same result. at this point, i made the mistake of removing what i believe is called the drive controller (which was in one of the ports) and relocating it to another port. i then tried the new modem in what was previously the driver controller port. the computer still wouldn't recognize the modem, so i removed the modem and put things back where they were.

Most SCSI controllers have BIOS onboard to control the attached devices. The BIOS on the SCSI controller card also contains boot information for bootable SCSI drive. This is usually a server feature. A SCSI controller can daisy chain 7 to 15 devices at on time.

#7 buholley

buholley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:56 PM

acklan

i believe you are right regarding the SCSI device. does the info i've given you to date indicate that i have damaged something? or can things be restored? because once i boot the computer up, everything is accessible and works fine. that is, except the floppy drive. it would seem that either the controller card or the device that it's connected to via cable is damaged or has been rendered inoperable somehow. the device in question has a copper band around it, lengthwise, if that helps. wish i knew more about computers - then again, if i did, i wouldn't have touched the controller card.

the floppy drive (which is standard on older computers, to my knowledge), has always been the beginning device in the boot sequence. now, it's not even being recognized. when i go to 'my computer' it only shows up as 'removable disk', rather than the usual 'floppy' designation. and i am unable to get it to operate - floppy disks i insert result in the message ' "A" not accessible'.

any suggestions?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:37 AM

I have two computers with Adaptic 2940 SCSI card and they did the same thing until I entered the SCSI BIOS at boot and turned the feature off. When you boot if you press the ESC key so you can see the system information as you boot. The SCSI card will display a message to press a certain key, usually an F key to enter the SCSI BIOS. There will be an option to turn off the boot feature on ther SCSI controller. It probably was reset when you pulled the card and killed the power from the computers onboard battery backup (the little watch battery on the motherboard). This stuff happens.
Sad to say but think your floppy died. It happens. Not as much as CD drives failing but none the less. I would not waste my money on a replacement. Unless you have floppies that need reading.

I hope this helped.

Merry Christmas.

#9 buholley

buholley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:36 PM

Acklan

Merry Christmas to you, too.

while your directions sound simple and reasonable, i've not been able to get the computer to respond in that way. first of all, the first thing that happens is the error message about 'bios not installed'. from there, i have only a couple of options. one is to press F10 to go to 'setup'. the other is to press F1, which is an option given to me in the lower left hand corner, ostensibly to get the machine to boot up. a third option is to press ctrl + A, in which case it goes to the SCSI utilities. if i press F1, and then ESC immediately after that, i don't get the system information, as i apparently should. all i get is a line saying C:\>rem [header].
from there, if i wait, it eventually boots up fully and windows will load. but i am unable to get any other info to show on the screen after pressing ESC.

if i try pressing ESC before i press F1, it won't respond. the first and third options have been explored and i've tried most everything that seemed reasonable but nothing worked. ultimately, i end up going back to the default settings, but the result is the same.

so again, i do appreciate all your suggestions, but i'm not sure how to get the system information to load during the boot process, given the condition the machine is apparently in. if i've missed something, let me know. i accept your conclusion about the floppy - but i'll probably get another one, since i do have some word processing files that need to be accessed from time to time.

thanks again for any suggestions, short of consigning this thing to the computer junkyard.

Edited by buholley, 18 December 2005 - 10:37 PM.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:50 PM

Ctrl + A to enter the SCSI BIOS is what I was trying to suggest.

#11 buholley

buholley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:52 PM

Acklan

your suggestions have been very helpful. i had tried ctrl + A but not the exact option you spoke of. after i read your last post, i tried it again and found the option you referenced and was able to disable it. and it worked! thank you.

the next time i booted up though, i got a message about the 'diskette' not functioning. and so i disconnected the floppy drive and re-booted. bingo.

now it's working fine.

your help, again, is greatly appreciated. have a Merry and Blessed Christmas.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:05 PM

I am glad to have been of help.

Have a merry Christmas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic