Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 curly1880

curly1880

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:38 PM

My firewall is not up to date but i cant find the right one for my computer is it ok keep running it or do u a list of firewalls i can use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 21 October 2004 - 08:59 PM

ZoneAlarm Free Download
Sygate Personal Firewall
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:00 PM

Firewalls are not like antii-virus programs, in that they do not have definitions to be updated on a regular basis; software firewalls do, however, sometimes have new versions. You can find these by using Google and searching for the site corresponding to the firewall you have on your computer.
Unless you want to change firewalls for some reason, continue to use the one you have, if that is your question.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:08 PM

hey, Curly1880,
I've tried others but the Sygate free personal one is the one I'd recommend. :thumbsup: I use Firefox & IE online, and my ISP is a dial-up. Installs/uninstalls easily. Its effective at stealthing my PC presence online. Nice logs:
  • Security
  • Packet
  • Traffic
  • System
A complete list of applications on your PC is two clicks away. You can decide how each is handled by the firewall individually. Click allow past, question each time, or block. Loads at startup, smc.exe uses around 20Kb memory from the looks of it at the taskmanager. It hasn't caused a lick of problems, where I didn't have the same experience with the others.
:flowers: my two cents worth.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:13 PM

I second phawgg's recommendation. I use and recommend Sygate Personal Firewall.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users