Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At the end of my rope on problems copying files!!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shaytala

shaytala

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

I just have constant trouble trying to copy files off my computer to a Cd or DVD. I inserted a CDRW and did a "file send to" for a number of files that were on a flash drive. I had copied the files off my laptop XP system onto the flash...inserted the flash into my desktop which is a Windows 7.

I only put a few files in the holding pen and when I asked it to write it said there were too many. So I put in a DVD RW and it came up asking if I wanted this to be played like a CD/DVD (which they said you couldn't do anything to it later) or used like a flash drive---I said like a flash drive because I want to edit the files on it etc. It said something about are you sure because this will take a long time...I said yes. Then it went through what I guess was a formatting. Once it stopped I tried to write files to it and it said it was unwriteable or something to that effect.

Help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

CDRW`s are a very risky form of back-up IMO. Because of their Re-Writeable design they are also more prone to burn and or read failures. As well as a shorter shelf life of the data saved on them.

Do you have a regular DVD-R you can try the same thing on.

#3 shaytala

shaytala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:38 PM

Will check but believe I have a DVD-R. I do know that the shelf life of the RW isn't long...I only bought them because I had a lot of files from 3 computers to sort out and thought it would be easier. If I use a DVD-R how can I copy them back onto my desktop to work on them and keep them "contained" in one area so I know that's what it is.

I'm afraid to download and have them overwrite files. Example...I have a file on desktop that's called ezine articles. Also have same on laptop.
If I added something on the desktop file and added something to the laptop file will it "overwrite" all my prior saves or just merge the two making sure it keeps everything?

I researched this for several hours today and am so confused. I found one comment that said you could set something on your computer so that all you had to do was "drag and drop". I did something and a screen came up telling me to drag my files there....I drug 3 of them over individually and it looked like I did something wrong because it said at the top of one of the screens that it was going to take 5 minutes to copy it...that seemed out of line since I was pretty sure it was a small file...so I chickened out and cancelled.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

Will check but believe I have a DVD-R. I do know that the shelf life of the RW isn't long...I only bought them because I had a lot of files from 3 computers to sort out and thought it would be easier. If I use a DVD-R how can I copy them back onto my desktop to work on them and keep them "contained" in one area so I know that's what it is.

Copying them back to your Desktop is no different with a DVD-R then it is with a DVD-RW. The difference between a R and RW is that the RW can be formatted and rewritten to for how ever long the disk lasts. An R is a one time write disk.

I'm afraid to download and have them overwrite files. Example...I have a file on desktop that's called ezine articles. Also have same on laptop.
If I added something on the desktop file and added something to the laptop file will it "overwrite" all my prior saves or just merge the two making sure it keeps everything?[/b]

As long as the file name(s) are different they will not overwrite each other. Example. You edit a file called ezine. Then instead of using save, use save as. Simply change the name to ezine1. In this manner you will have the original as well a the one that has been change\edited.

I researched this for several hours today and am so confused. I found one comment that said you could set something on your computer so that all you had to do was "drag and drop". I did something and a screen came up telling me to drag my files there....I drug 3 of them over individually and it looked like I did something wrong because it said at the top of one of the screens that it was going to take 5 minutes to copy it...that seemed out of line since I was pretty sure it was a small file...so I chickened out and cancelled.

Am really unsure just what you are saying here. Do you have a link to what you read? Dragging and dropping is about the same as doing a cut and paste from the right click menu. It completely removes the file\folder from it`s current location to where ever it is that you drag and drop it at. While if you copy and paste using the right click menu then a copy of the file\folder is left in the original spot as well as a new identical one is moved to where ever you paste it at.

#5 shaytala

shaytala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:44 AM

Copying them back to your Desktop is no different with a DVD-R then it is with a DVD-RW. The difference between a R and RW is that the RW can be formatted and rewritten to for how ever long the disk lasts. An R is a one time write disk.

If I added something on the desktop file and added something to the laptop file will it "overwrite" all my prior saves or just merge the two making sure it keeps everything?[/b]

As long as the file name(s) are different they will not overwrite each other. Example. You edit a file called ezine. Then instead of using save, use save as. Simply change the name to ezine1. In this manner you will have the original as well a the one that has been change\edited.

Am really unsure just what you are saying here. Do you have a link to what you read? Dragging and dropping is about the same as doing a cut and paste from the right click menu. It completely removes the file\folder from it`s current location to where ever it is that you drag and drop it at. While if you copy and paste using the right click menu then a copy of the file\folder is left in the original spot as well as a new identical one is moved to where ever you paste it at.

#6 shaytala

shaytala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:52 AM

What I was saying is I wasn't sure if you can drag and drop. I'd like to be able to do that because I'm clearing files totally off my laptop to send it to a grandaughter. That way I know that file has been moved as opposed to did I copy it over or not? What I was saying further is it seems like drag and drop maybe can't be done...that the only way to copy is to identify the file, send it to the holding pen and then write to a CD/DVD?

Let me put it this way---what do the smart people do to copy files on to a cd/DVD?

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:00 AM

I open up what ever my choice of burning program is. The do what is needed, in your case it would seem burning data CD\DVDs, and follow the appropriate steps according to the burning program in use.

Sorry I can not be more specific not knowing what program you are using to burn. It also would be almost impossible to be familiar with all the burning programs out available.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

Have you thought about purchasing an EXTERNAL hard drive? This is an option to consider if finances allow it.

An external drive is a good investment. The beauty of it is that after you move files to the drive, COPY them to your other computer, and you have them backed up.

#9 shaytala

shaytala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

Maybe the problem is I'm just relying on the Windows program to do this. I thought that's what everyone did which is why I asked about it? I don't have a special program to copy files into.

I do have an external hard drive. Just dawned on me last night that is what I should do. It is WD (can't remember full name). I need to attach my laptop to it and copy. What I was hoping to do was keep my laptop stuff separate and not sure if I do a backup on the WD if I can do that.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

You can keep it separate.

Hook up the external drive, open it, then create a new folder the same way you normally would by right clicking in an empty spot.
Choose New/Folder. Give the folder a name which will let you know which system they came from (ex. Laptop), open the folder, copy to it.

#11 shaytala

shaytala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

I love you Queen-Evie! Finally something simple that I understand. Thanks

#12 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members