Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I add music files from external drive to media player library using windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ghoul Slayer

Ghoul Slayer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

Hello,
This is my first post. I just installed Windows 7 and one thing is really annoying me. How do I shut off the feature that asks me to take ownership of every individual folder in my music files from my external drive before I can open them and add them to my media player library? I just want to add them the way I used to in XP or better yet just drag and drop the main folder into media player.

Edited by Ghoul Slayer, 13 February 2011 - 09:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

This information should do the trick.

You will basically take possession of the entire drive all at once instead of files\folders on at a time.

I realize it says XP in the title but it should work for Win7 too.

Edited by ThunderZ, 13 February 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#3 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

I don't know if this will be of any help to you or not but it is the only thing I've ever seen for this:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

#4 Ghoul Slayer

Ghoul Slayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

Thanks Zuhl that was an awesome application. Now for a new question. I added some new CDs to my music folder today using media player and it didn't put them into folders like it used to in XP. They're now scattered all over my main folder. I guess I'm going to have to create new folders and put them where they belong. Is there a way to set up media player so it keeps everything organized like it used to?

#5 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

I am honestly not very experienced using Media Player. The sad truth is I've had Windows 7 since it was released and have never really used the Media Player very much. I have an iPhone and import all of my music into iTunes, including YouTube videos I snagged using RealPlayer(free version). iTunes is my default audio and video playback device. I have relatively few issues, I can buy and download music from the iTunes Store, and I have no problems burning or ripping a CD using iTunes. I have problems trying to burn audio CDs with Media Player and stopped using it because of that. I imported the CD "Essential Concrete Blonde" using Media Player and when I went to burn it to disk, it refused to burn the last track because was an unrecognized format. It was the same format as everything else on the CD, 128 kb/s, except that it was a 'Live' recording. Media Player will import 'Live/concert' recordings and play them with no issue, it just can burn these tracks to CD.

Edited by Zuhl3156, 13 February 2011 - 11:04 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

I'm probably all wrong about this, but this is what I have gleaned thus far from my dual install of XP and Win 7 :).

Win 7 does not physically move the files from one location to another.

The library is not a physical location...it's similar to adding songs to the library portion of a 3d-party player. The files remain where they are, but they are also reflected in the designated library.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users