Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card / adapter issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hallucagenie

hallucagenie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

Hi - hope that someone can be of assistance.

PROLOGUE - A week ago, my laptop (SONY VAIO NW11 ZT running Vista HP SP2) became infected with the 'WINDOWS DISK' malaware/virus. As i'd successfully managed to remove a similar infection from my wifes pc last year, and remembering where it had planted itself, upon the first pop-up appearing, i started to run WEBROOT AV / SPYSWEEPER and went into program files and even managed to delete a couple of the newly planted files - but in what felt like about 3 minutes (but was probably much less) parts of the screen started disintegrating little by little, the AV program was closed and finally the computer itself closed down.

Unfortunately, i was unable to get past the boot up, not even in safe mode. And worse still the laptop didn't come with any recovery disks. More foolishly, i didn't bother creating one neither upon purchase of the laptop aprox 18 months ago.

The error messages on the BSOD read as follows :

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

*** STOP : 0x00000050 ( 0xE5895500, 0x00000000, 0x828B7713, 0x00000002 )

As i was pretty naffed off about all this, apart from saving a couple of webpages (on another pc) on how to get rid of the virus, i decided to put the laptop to one side until the following weekend where i'd start looking into it again when more free time prevailed.

Yesterday, after still struggling with ideas, i decided to try and boot up with a recovery disk from another manufacturers laptop. I either missed the repair option or maybe it wasn't there but Vista was re-installed successfully (with a windows.old folder created). I then ran rkill and malawarebytes anti-malaware software and successfully removed the infection. SO FAR SO GOOD.

THE NEW PROBLEM - The laptop is now pretty much functioning normally, apart from what i pressume is a graphic card / adapter problem. The laptop has an ATI RADEON 4570, but this doesn't show up in DEVICE MANAGER. Also in DM, under DISPLAY ADAPTERS, it shows as STANDARD VGA GRAPHICS ADAPTER (which itself has the exclamation mark in a yellow triangle) with the message 'This device cannot start (CODE 10), and when checking for solutions, none are provided or advised.

When a DVD was inserted into the drive, moving images appeared but were very choppy.

Connection to an outside monitor via both the VGA and HDMI ports is not possible. DISPLAY SETTINGS only show up 1 default monitor.

Is there a possibility that the virus/malaware physically killed off my graphics card - if so how am i still able to veiw still and moving images ( as even the standard vga graphics adapter is not functioning) ?

Or is it just that the computer needs to be told of the card's existance within the new setup ? I very much doubt this as everything is pretty much plug'n'play these days.

Should i contact the manufacturer to get a recovery disk where i will be able to reset to factory settings ?

If i restore my old vista files (from windows.old) (assuming that this can be done) will i get back to my previous settings where my programs will be restored (ie. Office, AV, etc) or is this just a way to restore your files ?

All my data and music files are backed up so there was never an issue of losing any data or files from the computer.

Apologies for the long post but i hope someone can provide some advise or assistance.

Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

You need to download and install the driver files from sony for your graphics card and other system devices first. Tha will resolve you video issues.

The windows.old file is just a way of getting back files from the corrupted installation. You will have to install any programs that you need like office. After that copying the relevent files over will restore some things. i.e. if you copy over the outlook.pst file it will restore you old messages, calendar, ect.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 hallucagenie

hallucagenie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:30 AM

Hi Baltboy,

Thanks for the reply and the help.

Can't believe that it was something so basic. Was expecting something far more problematic.

Everything seems to be functioning fine now.

Once again - Many thanks.

Andy

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:18 PM

np
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users