Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spoolsv.exe taking long to shutdown/ System restore 'broken'

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

Someone read my shutdown log and told me this.
shutdownProcess name="spoolsv.exe" shutdownStartTime="4908" shutdownEndTime="24938" processEndTime="-1" shutdownDuration="20029"

My shutdown went from 10 seconds to 30 seconds after I installed my printer's drivers from the disc it came with. He told me to get rid of the driver and install the newer ones from the HP website, but after I uninstalled the printer and it's drivers the shutdown still dragged even when the printer wasn't installed. I went ahead and got the newest driver and the problem still remains.

I tried to do a system restore to before I installed the printer, but I kept getting this error message. I tried it again in safe mode too, but to the same result. Here's the error message. http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/Flaming-Pencil/Systemrestore.png

How can I fix the system restore or just get rid of this service so I can replace it with the newer driver's one?
Thank you guys all in advance and I appreciate every one of your answers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bonzo905

bonzo905

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

Hi. Nice desktop.:thumbup2:

From the message displayed, it looks like the file(s) in that restore point are corrupted. Have you tried a different restore point, or do they all give the same error?

#3 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:02 PM

Hi. Nice desktop.:thumbup2:

From the message displayed, it looks like the file(s) in that restore point are corrupted. Have you tried a different restore point, or do they all give the same error?

Thanks buddy :D
Haha, well yeah I have tried about 5 different restore points that were made before I installed the printer's drivers, they all gave that exact same error message. Unfortunately most of the other ones were before I did some other major program installation or a windows update. After all of them failed I restored back to the restore point that windows makes after you try to restore, that went through without a problem so it isn't all of them I guess.

I'm pretty busy right now so I won't be able to test this untill tuesday at least but, before I installed the printer drivers all of the restore points were with Microsoft Security Essentials installed, but before I got the printer drivers I decided to install Avira instead. Could the problem be that the system can't go back to MSE/Get rid of Avira? Should I uninstall avira and try again?

I'm glad you replied pal, I appreciate it!

#4 bonzo905

bonzo905

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

I'm pretty busy right now so I won't be able to test this untill tuesday at least but, before I installed the printer drivers all of the restore points were with Microsoft Security Essentials installed, but before I got the printer drivers I decided to install Avira instead. Could the problem be that the system can't go back to MSE/Get rid of Avira? Should I uninstall avira and try again?

That's actually an interesting concept. I haven't run into a problem like that, but it's not that far out of the realm of possibility. Two things that pop to mind. Have you tried doing the system restore from Safe Mode? Do you have an original Windows disk (not a factory restore disk)? Try running the restore after booting to that. If Avira is the problem, it might get around it.

If you don't have a Windows disk, you can get an image that will suffice here:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

system restore is a windows function ,not a antivirus function therefor will not work now ,or after you try uninstalling avira .you problem sounds to me like malware/virus related but that just a guess

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 bonzo905

bonzo905

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

Hi caperjac. Yes, you are correct, but I wonder if Avira is blocking system restore from completeing, thinking it's viral activity. It's odd that the older restore points are not working, but the new one is, all around the same time the anti-virus was changed. It may just be a coincidence, but it's also something "non-destructive" to try.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:41 AM

yeah ,cant hurt to uninstall and reinstall ,but its likely the virus has gottin rid of the restore points

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users