Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot- blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 markymcd

markymcd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

Hello. I have a similar problem to SamathaKay, who posted earlier today about getting a BSOD when booting up. I have a shop-built desktop, circa 2006, running XP Pro. When booting up, the computer gets to the Windows screen with the little bar at the bottom, then the BSOD flashes only for an instant, and the whole boot process starts over. If I don't cut the power, it'll go on and on in this endless boot loop. I took a vid with my phone, trying to catch the BSOD to see what it says. I will try to attach it to this post. When you pause the BSOD (which occurs during the 8th second of the vid), it looks like it says, "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" along with some other stuff. I can't really make out the technical information at the bottom, partly because the stupid video is sideways. D'oh!

Anyways, any help for this? It first happened a couple years ago when I put in a cd that I thought contained some pictures. The problem happened, and we were just about to embark on a move across several states, so I didn't fool with it. Two hellish years later, I finally get around to unpacking this computer, and the dang thing still won't boot. Surprise. Yeah, I was hopin' it would fix itself.

Well crap, it looks like I can't upload the vid. It's a Quicktime vid, and almost 5 MB so I'm not really surprised.

Thanks for any insight.

-mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:45 PM

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Running chkdsk /r command on the partition/drive afflicted...is the normal cure for this (if it's cureable).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users