Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! All Program Files Will Not Run

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kobold1

kobold1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:46 AM

I used the posted "Remove AntiVira Av (Uninstall Guide)" to get rid of AntiVira on my ASUS which is running Vista Home Deluxe. Ran rkill then mbam then removed the malware and restarted as it asked. After restart I had read that it is a good idea to run mbam again, but I clicked the rkill icon by mistake. Had read that the way to reset from rkill was restart the computer, so I did. When it restarted no programs would run. I first tried to run mbam and got the message below. Tried many other programs and got the same message for each. AntiVira seems to be gone but now no programs will run. It will restart, but all it does is show me the desktop. No matter what I try to run I get the same message: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."

I cannot find the "Set Associations control panel", and am not sure it would run if I could find it, and if it did run I am not sure I would know what to do. Help!!!

EDIT: Moved from Malware Removal Logs forum, merged with Vista topic ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2011 - 04:55 PM.
Dupe post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kobold1

kobold1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

I originally posted this under malware but after no responses there and hours of my working on it I think this is more a systems problem. Here is my original post:

"Help! Used "Remove AntiVira Av (Uninstall Guide)" now all programs will not run
I used the posted "Remove AntiVira Av (Uninstall Guide)" to get rid of AntiVira on my ASUS which is running Vista Home Deluxe. Ran rkill then mbam then removed the malware and restarted as it asked. After restart I had read that it is a good idea to run mbam again, but I clicked the rkill icon by mistake. Had read that the way to reset from rkill was restart the computer, so I did. When it restarted no programs would run. I first tried to run mbam and got the message below. Tried many other programs and got the same message for each [internet explorer, ccleaner, firefox, etc. etc.] AntiVira seems to be gone but now no programs will run. It will restart, but all it does is show me the desktop. No matter what I try to run I get the same message: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." I cannot find the "Set Associations control panel", and am not sure it would run if I could find it, and if it did run I am not sure I would know what to do. Help!!!"

Since then I have done a number of things. First, I found that I can run a program if I go to the program file itself, or the icon, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator". However, if the program also needs another program to run it will fail when it gets to that stage (e.g. I tried to run a couple MS Fix It's and was unable to as they required installing/starting PowerShield which generated the error message above.)

Other things I have done: I ran an icon repair tool, nothing. Ran system file check via cmd.exe and although it said it found and correct corrupted files it still did not fix.

It is as if my computer has forgotten how to run executable files (except that it allows me to run them if I choose Run as Administrator.) I really don't know jack about computers, but everything I am seeing and reading is making me think this may be a registry problem.

Help redux!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

You may want to try the EXE File Association Fix from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm .

Download the appropriate file and run it. I would probably reboot.

Louis

#4 kobold1

kobold1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

Hey Louis. That link says they are for XP and I am running Vista, would that be a problem?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

Sorry, I didn't pay attention :) and most of my database of links are for XP.

Take a look at http://www.kreslavsky.com/2009/03/reset-and-fix-windows-vista-default-file-extention-type-associations.html .

More Google Results

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users