Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On Line Data Storage

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

Those on line Data Storage businesses like you see on TV, . .

are they Insured for liabilities ?? You know like, "FDIC", . .

I'd like to know cuz I came across a business situation and

not sure what key words to search for, thought someone might

know something about that ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

I would say no, according to the following:

THE CARBONITE PRODUCTS, ALL THIRD PARTY COMPONENTS AND ALL BETA SOFTWARE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS," "WHERE IS," "AS AVAILABLE," "WITH ALL FAULTS" AND, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. CARBONITE AND ITS LICENSORS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE CARBONITE PRODUCTS, THE THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS AND ALL BETA SOFTWARE, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT AND TITLE, AND ANY WARRANTIES REGARDING QUIET ENJOYMENT, QUALITY OF INFORMATION, SECURITY, RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS, AVAILABILITY OF BACKED-UP DATA AND PERFORMANCE OF THE CARBONITE PRODUCTS. CARBONITE DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE CARBONITE PRODUCTS, THIRD PARTY COMPONENTS, OR BETA SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, OR THAT THE OPERATION OF THE CARBONITE PRODUCTS, THIRD PARTY COMPONENTS, OR BETA SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, OR THAT DEFECTS IN THE CARBONITE PRODUCTS, THIRD PARTY COMPONENTS, OR BETA SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT ENCRYPTION ALGORITHIMS, ASSOCIATED KEYS AND OTHER SECURITY MEASURES WILL BE SECURE OR EFFECTIVE. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOUR INSTALLATION, USE AND ACCESS OF THE CARBONITE PRODUCTS, THIRD PARTY COMPONENTS AND ALL BETA SOFTWARE IS AT YOUR SOLE DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR COMPUTER, SOFTWARE AND THE LOSS OF BACKED-UP DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE USE THEREOF. NO ORAL OR WRITTEN INFORMATION OR ADVICE GIVEN BY CARBONITE SHALL CREATE ANY ADDITIONAL CARBONITE WARRANTIES OR IN ANY WAY INCREASE THE SCOPE OF CARBONITE'S OBLIGATIONS HEREUNDER. YOU HEREBY WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, NOW KNOWN OR LATER DISCOVERED, THAT YOU MAY HAVE AGAINST CARBONITE AND ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS AND LICENSORS ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THE CARBONITE PRODUCTS, THIRD PARTY COMPONENTS AND BETA SOFTWARE.

Quote taken from Carbonite Terms of Use

Red text is mine to highlight the statement that most specifically applies to lack of bonding/insurance/warranty/recoverability possibilities.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

That makes sense to me, ok, I'll buy that, . .

but there is one thing missing, . . .

criminal mischief or criminal breeches of security, . .

This in my estimation is in all terms of practicality,

an essential practice !

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

I tend to think if its something your worried about others getting, not to put it online anyway-insured or not its available to be hacked stolen or lost. I keep all my essential documents on a local hard drive, and if its anything I deem important I really dont want others to find its encrypted, and half the time on an external drive thats only hooked up when Im using it. No online storage for me.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:56 PM

I know what you mean, but eventually we as people are going to need assurance and trust if we don't get it pretty soon, business is going to bottle neck.

I haven't study or really even paid a lot of attention to wiki leaks but I am guessing these were pages on a computerized system.

So, at this point I am back to square one.

But one solution is that a connection to your, "compartment" where a document(s) may be stored, is not connected to the main frame, and inaccessible to anyone including your self without authorization credentials, that seems to be a likely step in preventing hackers from entering.

I mean like it is, (the connection), "turned off", and then would be turned on, at the authorized request.

Edited by Jove, 13 February 2011 - 07:02 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

To add to this, what would being bonded or insured matter if the data is lost or stolen? No amount of money or compensation is going to make up for data loss no matter how it was lost.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:27 PM

In a company, I think it would still be more secure in my opinion to keep the files on a file server, preferably behind a good linux firewall-where all the computers on the home network can access it, as opposed to some random server on the web somewhere. Sure, someone could still hack it-but its someone who specifically is after you-while on a web based storage, there are hackers who try to screw stuff up just for the sake of doing it-keeping it at site helps cut down on the risk if you ask me.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:31 PM

Well, . . The thing is you bond to let your customers know that
you are about as good as a Bank Vault with Safe Deposit Boxes,
sometimes they get robbed and if there a Jewels in them, . .
Bye Bye Jewels but it is better than storing them at home.

My situation and interest are concerning Intellectual Properties,
such as works in progress.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

The Intellectual Properties are submitted because the service is dating the document,
much like you would notarize a document.

Edited by Jove, 13 February 2011 - 08:35 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

I'm of the mindset that if somebody wants what you have bad enough, there isn't any way of keeping it from them totally. A thief will eventually find a way to get what you have. All you can do is make it as difficult as possible. So encrypt the data and hope that the service or method you use is as secure as reasonably possible. Also don't share the whereabouts of the data or the file names with anyone who does not have a specific need to know.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#11 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

May I ask you have you heard or used Cobian Software that is used for storing, saving or backing up data ?

I am asking this mainly as informative conversation, . . as I am seeking information.

I know I can look it up.

but if you have time I'd appreciate your feed back

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

There are 49 topics related to Cobian in the All Other Applications forum. Do a search using the word Cobian and read what others have to say.

It is listed in the Freeware list of tools under File/Folder Utilities.

There is a tutorial here: How to backup and restore your data using Cobian Backup

I've never used it personally. I use Acronis as my backup software of choice.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

I see, . . . Thank you !

I am not sure I deserve such an extensive answer,

it would have been better for me to post that on General Chat.

Your Patience, Endurance and Efforts does not go without notice !

Wooops, . . This is General Chat !!

Edited by Jove, 03 March 2011 - 03:20 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

You're welcome. :thumbup2:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users