Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubleshooting Finder crash

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

Mac OS 10.6.6 on Intel Macbook Pro

Yesterday I went to open a file on an external hdd and finder hung. I used activity monitor to force quit and then tried to reopen finder, but got the message "the application finder.app can't be opened -10810". Googling I found snow leopard seems to have a problem w/ external hdds , usb & 1394, and network shares. This has been my experience - snow leopard has hung 2 or 3 times since August, always when I had an ext hdd attached. I thought maybe the drive itself had a problem, but this was another ext hdd.

There were several different suggestions to try and restart finder and avoid having to shutdown via the power button [hard reset?] and to prevent the problem in the future. One was to unmount any ext hdds w/ the command
sudo umount -fv DRIVENAME
or
sudo umount -Af
. Or you could use
sudo killall Finder Dock
to force Finder & Dock to quit and relaunch.

I tried reading the man page on sudo,only understanding the first line - that it "allows a permitted user to execute a command as the superuser or another user, as specified in the sudoers file". I don't understand why or how the sudo command is used in the above unmount and killall commands. Do these commands require a superuser password? [That's the same as the root user, right?]

Other suggestions were
To type
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder &
in terminal
To turn the ext hdd off and back on [you can't eject them once finder crashes - they don't show on the desktop].
Exclude ext hdds from spotlight indexing
Delete finder & disk utility plist files
Rebuild launch services
Reinstall OSx

Most of these suggestions were for 10.6.1, but it seems like updates haven't fixed the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do in what order if/when I encounter this problem again?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:15 AM

If the drive is plugged in without an external power supply, I would suggest using the external power supply.
Also run Disk Utility on each external drive.
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

Thanks davidanders. The ext hdds I was using had external power supplies. They are ntfs formatted w/ all the files from my years as a pc user - so I just use them to read files or copy files from the ext hdd to the mac. Disk utility won't work on ntfs volumes will it? My pc needs to have windows reinstalled, but it might consent to run windows disk utility on the ext hdds.

I haven't had any problem yet w/ the LaCie Rugged I formatted for the mac, but I just backup to it and occassionally I boot from it and check that I can access some random files. So it's not connected or accessed for long like the other ext drives.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users