Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New User - ASP.NET not required

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GeraldUK

GeraldUK

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

At home I am running XP Home SP3 on a desktop.

I used to have just 1 user - myself with administratorís powers, and Guest which was not activated. Yesterday in Event Viewer Apps WinMgmt warned me that another user had registered in the WMI namespace. Was not quite sure what that meant.

Today, looking at my Event Viewer I seem to have obtained a new user, probably via Microsoft, called ďASP.NET machine A....Ē (Ignore the inverted commas) as a Limited Account, and password protected.

In Event Viewer Security myself and this new user is now showing up 8 times as a security failure at reboot naming my account and ASP.NET and Microsoft in various guises.

Looking at Google it seems that ASP.NET has something to do with programming - which I really cannot and do not want to be involved with, and feel somewhat aggrieved that Microsoft (I presume) has added this to my system.

I should be grateful if someone with more computer knowledge than me can tell me how to get rid of, or to nullify, ASP.NET. Wondered if I can do it though User Accounts in Control Panel?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

ASP.NET...installs as part of one of the first .NET installs, this info is readily available via Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASP.NET

It can be deleted from Users...it can remain, user preference. When I had the 1.1 version of NET Framework on my system...I sometimes deleted it, sometimes just left it alone until I tired of the accompanying logon screen.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827072

Louis

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

Hello,

I cannot explain the messages in the event log concerning ASP.NET

That said, please note that ASP.NET is supposed to be on your computer. It is a limited SYSTEM account not user account. Without ASP.NET, some programs won't run.

There is also a service that should be set to manual. That service is ASP.NET State Service which is connected to the Microsoft.NET\Framework Again, without this framework, there are programs that won't run.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hamluis and Orange Blossom

Thank you both for you speedy replies.

If I can deal with the positive first - Orange Blossom - I confirm that ASP.NET State Service is set to manual. Looking at my Microsoft updates I seem to have had this system since 2005 and, in those days, updated everything Microsoft offered me in their monthly updates, and (Hamluis) I confirm that Microsoft NET Netframe 1.1 configuration appears as a shortcut in Administrative Tools.

On the grounds that I used to accept all updates blindly, if I had the ASP.Net user presented to me when I logged on sometime in 2005, together with my name as user, I would have clicked on my own name, and, to my recollection, I have never since had ASP.NET offered as another user account.

Having read your replies I did a hard reboot to see whether, for the reasons I gave in my 1st message, the logon would clear the Event Viewer audit. Unfortunately, there are now 4 failures. These are on the grounds that ASP.net and my user name are deemed Unknown or bad passwords and Microsoft Authenication Package returned error codes 0xC000006A (meaning an incorrect password was supplied for ASP.NET) and 0x000006E - code not explained, but my login does not have a password. Anyway, “Help and Support” says no action required.

Which begs the question, why are my logins causing the System to report audit failures, but then to say, don’t do anything! Not logical in my humble view!

The reason for this thread was because I was having problems with one of my programs, Cool Edit Pro not recording, and hence I was looking at Event viewer to see if any problems were being reported due to that program. At that stage I picked up the very recent WinMgmt warnings ( which I thought was that a new user had been added to the system), and the logon audit failures.

Not sure where we go from here. The fact these things are reported as errors, but with no need to take any action leave me in a sort of relaxed quandary! At least the computer system seems to be working as usual, bar Cool Edit Pro, although I think that problem predates what we have been discussing.

Edited by GeraldUK, 13 February 2011 - 04:33 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

FWIW: I have CE2K, if you want to elaborate. I've never had a problem at all with it...so I suspect that uninstalling it/reinstalling it will take care of that situation.

I can't asnwer questions about logging in routinely...I don't do that, I choose to bypass it because I am the sole user of my systems. Deleting the ASP.NET user account also gets rid of the login screen.

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

Louis

#6 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

Hamluis

This is getting quick!

I was about to post to say that, on a SOFT boot, my logon has been accepted as NETWORK SERVICE after a load of Policy changes. So, perhaps, a glitch has cured itself? I will try a few hard boots tomorrow.

Cool Edit Pro 2 will no longer record from line in - all I get is a straight line on the right channel view instead of the waveform over both channels. However, it does extract tracks from my CD drive, although that must be a different driver etc. Funnily enough it displays and plays old wav files produced on it beautifully! I think it is a question of deleting it and reinstalling. Or, do you know if one can install over an existing program? Might be messy, but I feel a driver has become corrupted? Pure guess, but grateful for any input.

Thanks

Gerald

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

Anytime a specific program gives me problems...first thing I do is uninstall/reinstall.

Files become damaged all the time...and quite easily. We only become aware of it when something hiccups :).

Louis

#8 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:18 AM

Hamluis

Thanks - I will uninstall and reinstall CEP2 when I can find the CD. The error I am experiencing is covered by their help section:
Q: I can't record in Cool Edit Pro. When I try, I get a flat line, and no sound when I play. What's wrong?
A:
You may have the record level set too low for the audio signal you're trying to record, or your sound cardís mixer might not have the desired input set to record.

The system has an NVIDIA card with Line In selected as I am either recording off air or LPs or CDs. I cannot see on the NVIDIA screen the ability to make a choice between record or playback - up until now the program has done that automatically.

A friend of mine loaded Audacity (some freeware) and he was unable to get that to record, so is musing whether it is an NVIDIA audio driver problem. Does the Registry come into it I wonder?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

When I want to record video...sometimes I have to change from playback to record via the sound volume icon.

Right-click on icon, Open Volume Control.

Click Options/Properties...change Mixer Device from Output to Input. That should change it to recording mode, click OK.

Louis

#10 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:13 AM

Hamluis

Thanks for the information about Recording Control>Options>Properties. The mode was playback as you suspected and I changed it to record. Tried to record with the existing installation a few times, but no joy.

Today I uninstalled Cool Edit Pro 2 and reinstalled it. Unfortunately no change - using line in and ensuring the recording control was on record - so back to square one although it still plays my old wav files very well - just wonít record in edit mode!

Nothing is showing up in the Events viewer, System Info, Hardware, audio is showing OK so I am a bit stumped.

Any further thoughts?

Gerald

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:36 AM

Sorry, nothing I can add :).

I've always used CE to edit/create new files from ones already on the system...I don't record music normally, although I think that I used do so. I don't recall ever having a problem with it.

You are following the directions in the Help menus...for recording?

Louis

#12 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

Hamluis

Thanks.

I think I am using the right recording configuration - which is pretty well the default. Certainly, I had not changed any settings since I last used it, unless Registry entries might have an effect?

What I meant by any further thoughts is, presupposing the program is OK, (nothing in Event Viewer for CEP) where should I look next on the system - drivers, sound card?

Gerald

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

It has to be a program fault, IMO.

You can run the DX troubleshooter or Sound Troubleshooter or whatever...but if all those functions work well for other apps/functions...the program itself is the only direction to look, IMO.

You could download Audacity or Goldwave...and install it...see if it has the same problems.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

http://www.goldwave.com/

Louis

#14 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:26 AM

Hamluis

Thanks for your prompt response.

The plot thickens! Yes, in message 8 I said that Audacity had been downloaded, but that demonstrated the same non-recording from line in. Plays back to either the computers local speakers, or to my Hi-fi speakers. as does CEP.
Infuriating!

Anyway, we do have two apps which are displaying the same fault - unable to record in the line in mode.

Gerald

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:19 AM

Well...I suggest that you start a new topic in Audio & Video and see if someone there has a clue.

We've strayed beyond the ASP.NET topic here in the XP forum and the members frequenting that forum are more likely to have useful ideas about your situation, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users