Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows won't restart

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mozcam

Mozcam

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

Will not restart. It goes to the screen where you could select the Bios or Boot, then turns blue, then just stays blue. Will not let me in Safe Mode at that point. I was able to restart in Safe Mode after selecting that in MSCONFIG. I used a different computer and downloaded and burned Paragon Rescue Kit, and this allows me to select windows and the computer boots up. I tried using my restore kit to just wipe it out and reinstall everything, but you have to leave that disc (restore) in and restart, but it won't restart without the Rescue Disc in!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

Hi Mozcam, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Please post the make and model of this computer.

Please try the following:

Download NTBR_CD.exe and create a bootable CD.

* Save the file to your Desktop and double-click it. This will create a folder named NTBR_CD.
* Open the folder and locate BurnItCD. Launch it by double-clicking it.
* When BurnCDCC opens, click Start - the CD tray will open.
* Insert blank CD and click OK.
* The tray will close, burn the image then eject the disk.

Run chkdsk.

* Boot the affected computer with the new CD.
(You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.)
* Once presented with the boot screen please hit <ENTER> to boot from CD.
* After a warning screen there is a keyboard language options screen - press <ENTER> to leave it at EN-US.
You should now be at the Tool options screen.
* Type 5 and press <ENTER> to go to a command prompt.
At the command prompt type the following bolded command then press <ENTER>

tools\ntfs4dos\chkdsk

You will be prompted (in German) to press Enter.
* Press <ENTER> to start the check disk utility.
Check Disk will check all attached drives and attempt to correct any errors.
Please make a note of any errors found or corrections made.
* When it completes type "menu" and press <ENTER> to return to the tools menu.
* Type 6 and press <ENTER> to quit, then Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Allow the computer to attempt booting normally and let me know the outcome.

Edited by dc3, 13 February 2011 - 01:03 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Mozcam

Mozcam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

I downloaded as indicated and created the disk. I made sure the boot order was changed, but it will not boot from this disc. I had to put the Paragon Rescue disc back in to get it booted up. This is a gateway computer.

#4 5h4d0w News

5h4d0w News

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

Will not restart. It goes to the screen where you could select the Bios or Boot, then turns blue, then just stays blue. Will not let me in Safe Mode at that point. I was able to restart in Safe Mode after selecting that in MSCONFIG. I used a different computer and downloaded and burned Paragon Rescue Kit, and this allows me to select windows and the computer boots up. I tried using my restore kit to just wipe it out and reinstall everything, but you have to leave that disc (restore) in and restart, but it won't restart without the Rescue Disc in!

What kind of Blue Screen are you getting? Also have you tried putting in your Windows CD and running a repair on the OS?

5h4d0w News
"Your opinions of the Technological world"

Visit my blog: 5h4d0wNews' Opinion

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

The Paragon CD is a bootable CD, so if you can boot from it you should be able to boot from the NTBR CD.

What is the recovery kit that you wrote about in your first post?

It would also help to know the make and model of this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Mozcam

Mozcam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

The blue screen is a plain blue screen with no error codes. It is a gateway computer, I will have to look up the model but I am at work right now. I understand the computer will boot from the Paragon disc but not the disc you told me to create. It will also not boot from the restore CD's that came with the computer. Previosuly, when my kids lived at home, I had to use these disc's to delete everything off the hard drive and then reinstall Windows and the drivers. So now it will not boot from those. This is frustrating that it will boot from Paragon Rescue and nothing else. I would be happy to be able to wipe the slate clean and reinstall, but it won't let me. Thanks for any help.....

#7 Mozcam

Mozcam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

It is a Gateway model 300.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users