Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access windows update - redirection occurs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dshksh

dshksh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:41 AM

When I click on windows update under all programs my computer opens Internet Explorer and then it opens Google Chrome and then it says the website is not available and may have been moved and I get the following error Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown. In order to try and get around that I uninstalled Google Chrome. Now when I click on Windows update under all programs I get a box that says Application not found. When I type in Windows update in the Google search engine I get choices for the windows update address. When I click on update.microsoft.com/ I get redirected to some info.com site or some other site that is not windows update. I have used malwarebytes, ad-aware, spydoctor, spybot and I have run XP repair and I have run check disk. Please help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

Can you update your installed AV program?

Can you run/access regedit?

Any other apparent system anomalies?

Have you checked for a proxy server that may have been installed by malware?

Start Internet Explorer, and when the program is open, click on the Tools menu and then select Internet Options.

Now click on the Connections tab.

Now click on the Lan Settings button.

Under the Proxy Server section, uncheck the checkbox labeled Use a proxy server for your LAN. Then press the OK button to close this screen. Then press the OK button to close the Internet Options screen.

Louis

#3 dshksh

dshksh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:44 AM

I am not sure how to update my installed AV program. Yes I can access regedit. There are no other anomalies in my system that I know of. I unchecked the proxy server but it did not help the problem. Still need help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

<<I am not sure how to update my installed AV program.>>

That's...a troubling statement, since directions typically are available at the respective websites, if not the actual installed program.

In any case...did you reboot after making the proxy setting adjustment?

In fact...go Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.

Reboot...the chkdsk will complete and then boot into XP.

Louis

#5 dshksh

dshksh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

Sorry - I did not know what AV was. Now I know it means Anti Virus. Yes I have updated my anti virus and I ran chkdsk. Nothing has changed. The redirecting is still happening.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:35 PM

Thanks, I'll move this to the Am I Infected forum, where a deeper look can be taken re malware possibilities :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users