Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BEST FREE ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnySH

JohnnySH

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:26 AM

Hello

A while ago on this site I was sugested antivirus software by an expert, I would like to know what everyone thinks is the best free antivirus software.

I do not like AVG its far to heavy and slow down your pc

I appreciate any feed back to the best free antivirus software

thanks

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2011 - 10:18 AM.
Moved from XP forum to AV, Firewall, Privacy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

There is no BEST. There are a number of good ones and typically Avira and Avast are at or near the top of the list. There are any number of other excellent alternatives.

#3 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

I use Avast, has always been good for me and doesn't slow down my computer.

If you wish for some paid ones then there is Kaspersky which is pretty good, and NOD32 is also good :)

But like Alan said, there is no best and im pretty sure everyone will have their own opinion.

#4 JohnnySH

JohnnySH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

thank you for your replies

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

You're welcome.

BTW, this is probably the single most repeated question on support forums. If you want more opinions just do a search on this or any other support forum and you'll find lots of threads.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

I agree with Allan...there is no best anti-virus nor a universal "one size fits all" solution[/b] that works for everyone.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Davkal

Davkal

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

I would have to agree with the rest - there is no 'best' av program, many people use what they like after trying several out. Each av program is different in some way, but most work basically the same an do the same thing. There are several free av programs available out there an i am sure there is a list of them somewhere, if not maybe someone will list them here for you. If i needed to grab one quick - AVG or Avast - would be my choices.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

Just to present another angle , I found that your Operating System, added to your Make and model, plus how long you like to "play" with your A/V always makes your choices wider - My good old XP 1G runs great with M.S.E. while my win7 laptop, although a 4G, never seemed to run as well (missed updates / slower scans) so I found it ran better on Avira - As above , what you prefer is the better one and then each one will show results from "independant tests" prove theirs is better -

No such thing as Better - Only you find what works better for YOU -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users