Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 any edition; classic look & classic start menu, can it be done?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 videobruce

videobruce

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

I'm sure I will get some 'flack' over this question, but is there any way to wind up with anything that looks like Windows classic look including the classic start menu with any flavor of Win7??

I really can't stand all of this artsy fartsy new look to the GUI. The classic layout including the classic start menu worked fine for 15 years, I see no need to change it. other than just another lame reason to sell more bloated software.
At least, like XP, give the user the option to revert back if he chooses!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:26 AM

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/make-the-windows-7-taskbar-work-more-like-windows-xp-or-vista/

http://www.csmenu.com/

#3 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:35 AM

Looks as I'm not the only one who feels this way. :whistle:

Thanks for the CS link.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

Sure thing. I'd advise sticking with the W7 menu for a while though - I think you may end up liking it. Like you, I'm sometimes slow to embrace change once I'm used to something, but I use systems with XP, Vista, and W7 and actually enjoy the differences among them.

Edited by Allan, 13 February 2011 - 09:40 AM.

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

most users don't like change, i like the new taskbar,and really like win7 ,and don't find it bloated at all ,
i have it running on a compaq v2000 laptop amd sempron,768 meg shared ram .and it works just fine as a internet /dvd burning machine .and a compaq with3 gig ram and amd duel core cq-60 works just fine also for everything i use it for ,win7 is best yet ,and i been using windows since win 3.11
i went from xp to win7 ,was lucky enough to have been pick to host a win7 party, way back now, it seems ,got free win7 ultimate to install and show to people before the official win7 release .I enjoy win7 ,if i want a little of what winxp was like i just run winxp mode for a few minutes
one person in the link provided complained that even when using samall icons, it onlymade it a few lines smaller ,they must have been using a really small resolution as for me it makes them small enought to see a big differen in the icon size

Edited by caperjac, 13 February 2011 - 10:21 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

Supposedly, the best solution posted elsewhere is "Classic Shell";
http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

I have to go with Allan on this one. I resisted going to Win 7 for years, and finally decided to take the plunge. I've grown to love the interface - and trust me, I am NOT one who embraces change easily... :)

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

While Videobruce`s suggestion may work well for some\many. Looking at the available d\l`s he linked to would give me hesitation in using them.

All I see are beta`s and RC = Release Candidates. No final builds. This has the potential to cause more trouble then what it may be worth. IMO

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

While Videobruce`s suggestion may work well for some\many. Looking at the available d\l`s he linked to would give me hesitation in using them.

All I see are beta`s and RC = Release Candidates. No final builds. This has the potential to cause more trouble then what it may be worth. IMO

i agree, i just installed the latest version in the link on my other laptop that i intend to reload soon ,it changed the start menu on install and had a readme on how to change windows explorers look,and how to correctly unintall it

Edited by caperjac, 13 February 2011 - 07:47 PM.

#10 FayB

FayB

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:26 PM

I am one of those that often dosn't do change very well. I skipped VISTA and went from win xp to win 7. Actually so far win 7 has not been that bad. Two of the things I really missed was the old RUN command and the old type Search. I did some google searches and did find how to get the old RUN command back on my start menu. Was happy about that. Didn't find how to get back the old serach though- most suggested using a 3rd party utility. I have been using AGENTRANSACK to search for text within a file, so guess I'll start using it as my search to find files also.
Those are the 2 main things I have had problem with in using win 7.

Fay

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:30 AM

just open start and search box is right there,i cant even remember what the old one was like its been that long

#12 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for the input.
I know change happens everyday, but I just like the option of choice, not something forced down my throat no matter how many 'polls & surveys' were taken.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for the input.
I know change happens everyday, but I just like the option of choice, not something forced down my throat no matter how many 'polls & surveys' were taken.

It can't possibly come as a surprise that a new Operating System has a new user interface.

#14 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:52 AM

I never said I was "surprised".

#15 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

I never said I was "surprised".

your right you never said that ,so you knew there would be changes you wouldn't like. and bought it anyway .lol
just kidding, honest
At local mom and pop computer shop where i freelance ,you wouldn't believe the people who brought back there new win7 computers because they didn't like the new look ,[all most do is surf the net ],an purchased a winxp cd and paid to have new machine reloaded with xp , when win7 first came out

Edited by caperjac, 14 February 2011 - 04:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users