Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Home, preconfigured PC first startup: no username used durning setup?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 videobruce

videobruce

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

Using a dime a dozen, store bought preconfigured PC running Win 7, during the initial setup out of the box, when you are at the user name/ computer name screen, I initially typed in a user name, but then did a "cut", deleting that name and I just entered a password to see if it would let me do this.

To my surprise it did, advancing me to the next screen with just a password.

When I got to the actual login screen and just typed in the password, but it wouldn't let me login. I tried the original user name with the password, but that didn't work.

The solution from Comtrash was to do a restore process, effectively reloading their version of the O/S.

Is this some M$ glitch?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:00 AM

Why would you do something like that? Is it a glitch that you need a username? On the contrary. It needs to create a user account on the first boot.

#3 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:03 AM

I agree with Allan. How can you log in to a User that isn't there because "someone" didn't feel like giving it a name. You are the 'glitch' not Microsoft.

#4 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

I wanted to see if it would work since all former O/S's you didn't have to assign a user name at first startup.

The 'glitch' was letting the process proceed w/o the user name. I didn't create the glitch. It allow me to proceed w/o the user name. They didn't seem to have any shortage of confirmation boxes that pop up at every keystroke when you are actually in the O/S, do they?

Edited by videobruce, 13 February 2011 - 09:25 AM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

If you put a car in gear and then step out of the car, is it a glitch that the care will move without a driver? Sometimes it's assumed the user is smart enough to do what he or she is supposed to do ;)

#6 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:32 AM

That's kind of a extreme example isn't it?

What, you never tried to do something out of the norm?? I'm not a robot, or a remote clone of M$ or anyone else. You don't know until you try.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:34 AM

No offense was intended my friend, just picked the first example that popped to mind :). Bottom line though, if you do something that is not expected, then you have to be prepared for unexpected results.

#8 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

I fully understand that, all I wanted to know if it was a known 'bug' since oit did allow me to continue the process without the user name.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:38 AM

I doubt it is considered a :spider

Although there are probably work around`s. But not sure if Forum rules allow me to post the possible path to take.

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

win7 and win vista has a hidden admin acct ,like the one that winxp went to when you booted xp in safe mode ,a workaround to getting your computer work is accessing the hidden acct and create a new user acct .
search google for a how to i guess .
as for being a robot ,that silly we are all robots in one form or another aren't we .lol maybe you should switch to Linux and be a lost robot like me when i try linux lol.

Edited by caperjac, 13 February 2011 - 12:13 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#11 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:06 AM

Since this wasn't my PC and the party wasn't there at the time, I didn't know what user name she wanted. I was going to make one up, but stopped and tried leaving it blank.
As I stated, it let me do this.

I'm use to NOT entering a user name in since the default has been 'admin' for XP & 2k. I just blew by that screen along with blowing by the password screen since I always set that afterwards. Neither was a priority. While I understand the reason for forcing Joe Sixpack to do this right off the bat, it's a huge inconvenience for me. This was the Home edition. I did do a 'Pro' install last summer, but I don't remember if the non-Home versions had this annoyance.

ThunderZ; post it, I won't tell. :clapping:

Edited by videobruce, 14 February 2011 - 08:07 AM.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

ThunderZ; post it, I won't tell. :clapping:

Has already been posted. In this very thread. :whistle:

#13 ezrider714

ezrider714

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

Have to agree with video If you must have a username to work later,that first screen where the username was left blank,should popup a window saying "must enter username to continue" and not allow any further progress on install until one is provided. The action that it does take sounds like a bug to me.
EZ

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:37 PM

Since this wasn't my PC and the party wasn't there at the time, I didn't know what user name she wanted.

Have been in that situation many times. Knowing the Clients name, I always just used it. Of course leaving the password blank.

If the name entered was that important to the Client then of course they could always call me to find out how to change it if they did not already know. I would also walk them through assigning a password if they desired and did not know how to do that either.

Something to keep in mind when working on someone else`s machine. Never ass-u-me what their knowledge level is. Under or over estimating it can get you in trouble. <_<

#15 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

Her knowledge level consisted of all emotion, no logic. (What else is new). She gave me a dozen reasons that she didn't need a new PC, but went ahead and bought a POS anyway. Mostly due to mother-son conflicts.
Like I said, all emotion, absolutely NO logic. :wacko:

The description of the problem was "It doesn't work". The apparent problem was with the router, but I couldn't confirm this.

Edited by videobruce, 15 February 2011 - 11:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users