Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD issues.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Henry77

Henry77

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

I have 2 Maxtor Diamondmax 16 (120gb) drives I'm trying to access through a USB cable, and separate power supply.

I'm currently running XP on the machine I'm trying to access them through.

In the device manager the maxtor drive does show up. I've tried both and they both appear. They are also recognized as a USB device, so I can shut them down before unplugging them.

I've also tried connecting them to a laptop with is also running XP SP2, and I get the same result. I can find them in the DM, but they do not appear as an accessible drive in "my computer".

I've done this before with smaller drives and didn't have a problem. I also will occasionally use 2 separate ext HD's (in their own case), and don't have a problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andymac10

andymac10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

I often have this problem when the drive letter Windows tries to assign to the USB Drives has already been assigned to another drive. Simply going into DM and reassigning a drive leter fixes the problem. Hope this helps..

#3 Henry77

Henry77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

I don't see an option in the DM to do this. Does it matter that I'm on XP home edition (no administrative tools)?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:17 PM

When you say DM are you talking about Device Manager or Disk Manager?

How many objects are reflected in My Computer? If you have a Media Reader then it is very possible that your hard drives are actually appearing as the drive letters assigned to the media reader.

If this is the case. Have you tried opening any of the media reader drives? Of course if it is not the case then you will get the no media present pop-up.

#5 Henry77

Henry77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

This HD doesn't show up in disk manager. I can see it through device manager though.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

How many drives are reflected in My computer?

Do you have a media reader on the PC?

When you say an external power source. Just what\how are they drives connected to the PC. I realize you said a USB cable. But how is the cable connected to the drive? Are they in an external enclosure\caddie?

Are these ATA or SATA drives?

Edited by ThunderZ, 13 February 2011 - 11:07 PM.

#7 Henry77

Henry77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

C: - My primary drive that has the OS installed
F: - A second HD I added 2 years ago

This computer doesn't have a media reader.

One cable connects to the drive, and then to the wall outlet to supply power. The other cable connects to the back of the HD, and then into the computers USB port. There is no enclosure like there is with my other ext HD's. These were HD's I picked up from someone and wanted to test them before buying enclosures and finding out they don't work.

It looks similar to this: http://www.buy.com/prod/new-usb-2-0-to-sata-ide-hard-drive-disk-cable-converter-adapter/q/sellerid/18700237/loc/101/213907146.html

These are both ATA drives.

I should also note that my (2) external drives that have their own enclosures are rarely turned on. They are plugged into the computer, but I don't turn them on unless I need something off of them.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:20 PM

I have read many instances where the that type of connector\adapter is not the most reliable. The drive may be good, but for what ever reason the adapter is at fault.

I do know with many self made enclosures the jumper on ATA drives must be set to Master. Do not know if that is the case with the particular adapter you are using. May be worth a try if you have not already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users