Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build posts 1% of the time

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OriginalMcBlood

OriginalMcBlood

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

I'm well and truly stuck guys and any help would be appreciated.

Quick summary:

Building a new system from scratch.

Everything in, everything connected, first power up; no post. Not only no post but no bleep code. Everything has power all leds are on all fans are spinning just no post and no bleep code.

Okay so I breadboard it, well technically I did not bread board it 'cos I left it in the case but I stripped it down to PSU, MOBO, CPU and HSF. Power on, it does what it is supposed to do and gives me the bleep code for no ram.

Ram in, no post, no bleep code. Okay maybe the ram is shorting the PSU. So PSU or ram problem (both box fresh by the way). Take the psu out and hook it into my old system; post, boot everything is as it should be. So probably not the PSU. I can not do the reverse as the PSU in my old system does not have enough pins for the cpu power in the new mobo.

Ram is not on the QVL for the mobo so I go and buy ram that is. Does this make any difference, no it doesn't.

Determined not to let it beat me I tried every ram config I could do several times then randomly it posted, woo hoo says I.

So I stuck a graphics card in and tried again, no post?!

VGA out, tried again no post. Fiddled about with the ram configuration i.e 1 stick /2 stick combos in various slots.
To summarise a few hours of fiddling about down. It will now post about 1 % of the time, what is in there seems to have no bearing on it. It has now posted about 4 times and each time the ram config and VGA/ no VGA present set ups have been different.

I have no idea what to do next except maybe bite the bullet ( and the expense) and take it to a local pc dealer and get them to test it.

anybody any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:26 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

What motherboard are we dealing with?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 OriginalMcBlood

OriginalMcBlood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:05 PM

Hi been in the forum for about 2 years just not posted very much but thanks anyway.
May as well give spec for parts while running min for posting :
PSU Antec Earthwatts 650w ATX 2.2
CPU AMD Athlon II X3 455
Mobo ASUS M4A79T DELUXE 790FX SOCKET AM3 DDR3
thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

What RAM modules are we talking about, please?

Specs say DDR3 1600(O.C.)/1333/1066.

Louis

#5 OriginalMcBlood

OriginalMcBlood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

Hi Louis,
ddr3 1333

#6 OriginalMcBlood

OriginalMcBlood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

This is to update if anybody stumbles across this thread.
In short I got it working. It posted I got into the bios set it all up manually which led to more consistent posting potential and then flashed it again and it now runs like a dream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users