Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista HDD crash

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PCTrouble2011

PCTrouble2011

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 computer that has not given me a bit of trouble.....until now. I came home to find the computer locked up. I turned off the computer and waited about 5 minutes before turning it back on. When I turned it back on, it gave me the dreaded blue screen "Unmountable" error. I have been on the internet, mainly this site, and tried everything. I have a back up that I did in December on an external HDD, but when I have it plugged in the "Windows Complete PC Restore" does not even recognize it.

I have tried the Command Prompt bootrec.exe, and it still does not work. My question is, what are the steps to totally re-install Vista and use my external HDD to perform the restore....or is that possible??

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

Hi :welcome: to Bleepingcomputer,

I'm a little confused and hope you can help me understand what you are saying. First are you saying the hard drive in the computer is not working and thus resulting in your bios not able to boot from it and telling you, or are you saying that the operating system is not booting? If it isn't booting then get your vista cd and try to use it to repair vista. After you clarify I may be able to help you further. :)

Edited by computerxpds, 13 February 2011 - 04:36 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 PCTrouble2011

PCTrouble2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

Sorry....I wasn't very clear. Vista will not boot up. I have my installation CD in, and from the BIOS I boot up from the optical drive. When I select "repair my computer", it gets to the part where you select what operating system to repair. But, it does not have anything to select. I click on NEXT and it takes me to the System Recovery Options. If I select Start Up Repair, it runs for a while and re-boots but the same thing happens. If I select System Restore, it tells me that there is not a version to use...I am paraphrasing that one. When I select Windows Complete PC Restore, it does not recognize the back up that I have on an external HDD. I haven't tried the Memory Diagnostic Tool. With the Command Prompt, I have tried the CHKDSK. It completes, but the same thing happens when I restart the computer.

I want to be able to get the pictures and music off of the HDD.....basically all that I care about. I don't have anything else on it.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

Well if it is not showing anything to repair it generally means that the hard drive has stopped working and there for is toast. I am sorry to say it but that is what I am seeing. You may want other opinions from other members though.

I would suggest you find out the manufacturer of your hard drive and then go to their web site and download their diagnostic utility and test it.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:13 PM

Prior to running any tests\stressing the hard drive further I would first take steps to back up the important data you mentioned.

Barring an actual mechanical failure of the hard drive it is pretty likely at least some of it can be saved.

You have a couple options. But both require access to a working PC. Is there one available to you?

#6 PCTrouble2011

PCTrouble2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

Yes. I have a laptop, plus I have access to another desktop. What are the steps I would take to recover what I could from my Hard Drive?

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:57 PM

You would need an external enclosure\caddie < examples only.
Or the ability to connect the troubled hard drive internally to the other desktop.

It depends on your comfort level opening towers and unplugging\plugging in parts. The enclosure\caddie depending on the model will cost a few $$ but then you would only need to open up the problem PC and remove it`s hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users