Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locating DBX files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DBXGUY

DBXGUY

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

I'm running XP home and OE6.
I had some emails in INBOX, SENT and DELETED in my OE.
I don't always shut down so, this morning when I looked at my inbox, everything prior to Feb 1, 2011 was gone.It is the same in SENT ITEMS and other than 16 items, they are also gone from DELETED ITEMS.

I'm hoping that I can find these deleted emails in the DBX files.

When I go to "search" in START, I cannot find the dbx files.
I have used various spellings such as, DELETED FILES.DBX, FILES.DBX, FILES *DBX*, etc, ad infinitum.
I had emailed the correct one to myself however, that is one of the emails which has disappeared.
I had thought I saved the instructions to my docs butt, I was wrong~~AGAIN.
Can someone please tell me what specifically I must type in SEARCH to find these files?
Thanks you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:34 AM

First...if you want to find .dbx files...you must have your settings so that you can see...all system files...and all file extensions.

Then, using the Search function...type in *.dbx as the search string.

You can also just open Outlook Express...Tools/Options...Maintenance tab, click the Store Folder button and see what your current elected location is.

The search method will reveal all .dbx files on the system, not just your store folder designation.

If you have folders which are not part of your store and you want to add them...just import them (the messages) into your location.

Louis

#3 DBXGUY

DBXGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:59 PM

Louis,
I typed in *.dbx and found them all.
Now, I want to find the emails which were deleted.
If I right click on deleted.dbx, folders.dbx, etc, I get the download box asking "run save cancel".
Behind this box in a new window for IE. When I click on run, it just starts all over again and NEVER opens.
I just right ckicked on folders.dbx and, when I got that download box, I saved it to my docs.
What I am attempting to do in retrieve these lost emails.
Is there a way in which I can retrieve them?
Thanks.

#4 DBXGUY

DBXGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:04 PM

Louis,
I just solved the entire problem by doing something easy which I didn't notice.
I clicked on "views" and then "show all messages" and, voila!! They're all there.

I'm gone bye now.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users