Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 akjudge1

akjudge1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

No immediate problems --

Hopefully will never have a serious problem, but I want to be prepared. Should I install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console?

Reviewing forums I saw many references to the advantage of having Microsoft Windows Recovery Console installed before a problem arises.

Question: Where to get Microsoft Windows Recovery Console when I only have the OEM CD for the OS (Dell recovery disc)? Does it work with my OS?

Current OS Data:

Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Dell Dimension DXP061
Intel® Core™2CPU
6400 @ 2.13GHz
2.13 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM

PS: Could not find a definitive answer to my question in Tutorials, etc.

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,673 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

I suggest every XP user has the Recovery Console installed as a boot option:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Dell Documentation

Louis

#4 akjudge1

akjudge1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

Louis,

If I read the Dell Documentation correctly, it allows access to the Recovery Console that is on the CD, but does not seem to install the Recovery Console on the hard drive.

Or am I mis-reading this? I was hoping to find a way to install the Recovery Console on the hard drive, creating the boot option.

Will it work as well from the CD? Or is there another way to get it on my computer's hard drive?

Sorry if the questions seem dumb...

Jim

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,673 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:00 PM

I suggest every XP user has the Recovery Console installed as a boot option:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

#6 akjudge1

akjudge1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Allen,

I went to the Microsoft Support article that you referenced and followed the directions.

After the Start > Run >(entered command) step I got the following message:

SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE BECAUSE THE VERSION OF WINDOWS ON YOUR COMPUTER IS NEWER THAN THE VERSION ON THE CD

So I said OK, the message window closed, and I ejected the disc.

AFTER ALL OF THIS, A NEW WINDOW OPENED, allowing me to install the Recovery Console, so I quickly put the disc back in, and exited the disc after the auto-run window appeared.

It appears to have successfully installed -- in spite of the red message error that initially appears.

I am writing back with my experience so other neophytes will know that if you proceed in spite of the error messages, that the Recovery Console can still be installed on the hard drive. (You may want to mention this along with the link you provide).

Thanks again for the help,

Jim

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,673 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

Sure thing. Installing the RC should be independent of the OS version - glad you got it set up. One thing you should know - if you use disk imaging software (and I think EVERYONE should), if you ever need to restore an image of the system partition you'll have to reinstall the RC (unless you also restore the boot sector).

Edited by Allan, 13 February 2011 - 01:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users