Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHKDSK on reboot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 JMH2106

JMH2106

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:37 AM

My computer froze while doing updates on shut down (spent an hour on "1 of 8"), so I cold booted it with the button. CHKDSK ran when I booted the system up, I've never ran CHKDSK before, and don't really know too much about it. Is this anything to worry about, and will it happen again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:45 AM

Apparently some file corruption happened when hard-offed the PC. XP triggered the chkdsk because it found the damaged files. The fact that it ran it is good. If the PC is acting normally now then you should be fine.
I would go back however and run updates again.

When you say it froze on 1 of 8, do you mean while it was being installed?

#3 JMH2106

JMH2106
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:00 AM

Yeah, while it was being installed it froze. I left the room for a few hours, came back, and it was still installing 1 of 8...I'm currently getting help with Malware via the Malware Logs section of the forum, but except for that, my computer is running normal now

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:38 AM

I see that you have an active topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal logs forum. You should not make any changes to your computer at this point unless you are directed to do so by the Malware Removal Team member assisting you. Any changes that you make without being instructed to will not only skew the results of your previous logs, and will make it more difficult for the MRT member attempting to help you as they aren't aware of the changes you have made.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:13 AM

dc3 is quite right, and so I will lock this topic for the time being. Please PM me or another staff member should you need this topic reopened after SweetTech pronounces your computer clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users