Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lots of problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ladyjune

ladyjune

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

Hi all,
I have an older generic computer running XP Home. A few days ago I was working in Corel Draw and started having lots of weird problems. The screen started jumping around and zooming in and out. The mouse started jumping around and freezing up. I thought somehow the program was corrupted and began searching on line for what was happening. Then I noticed the screen kept jumping to the bottom of the page while on line. Then last night the mouse went crazy and just started clicking all around and opened about 8 programs in 10 seconds. I tried to close the windows and they wouldn't close. The task manager would not come up so I turned off the computer. After 30 minutes I turned it on and it looked like it was booting up in safe mode but it wasn't. The characters on the screen were all scrambled and the black screen had random color streaks in it. I turned the computer off again and waited about 5 minutes and turned it on again. It seemed to boot up normally.
I have AVG installed and it scans every night. The history shows no problems. I opened Corel Draw and the tool bar jumped to a new location without me clicking on it and another tool bar disappeared. When I use MS Word it freezes up. While typing this post, the screen jumped to the bottom of the page and I had to scroll up. And randomly the right click window pops up when I have not clicked anything. I really don't know if this is a hardware problem, software problem, spyware problem and don't know where to begin.
One friend tells me I need to get a new computer because it's old. Another friend told me to download the combo fix from this site. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:04 AM

I have an older generic computer running XP Home.
One friend tells me I need to get a new computer because it's old.

Sounds like mine :wink: - Do you know if you are running XP Service Pack 3 and fully updated ??
Can you open in Safe Mode (tapping F8 as the firsf screen starts) ??- This is just to gain access to any items you may want -
You have 2 options - One is that you picked up an infection (even with AVG running) so I would redirect you to Malware Removal forum area -
Or the other thing is it may be a Power Supply Unit failure , not an expensive part , but many were made with low output and often failed - I replaced mine 3 years ago -
Do the pictures on the screen seem "Pixilated" (sorry but only way I describe it) ??

If you feel that it may be Malware (Infection) related please read on -
Please repost in this area Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and follow the Directions Here from item 6 onwards 0

Thank You -
EDIT - You should not run ComboFix unless you are specifically asked to by a helper. Also, due to the power of this tool it is strongly advised that you do not attempt to act upon any of the information displayed by ComboFix without supervision from someone who has been properly trained. If you do so, it may lead to problems with the normal functionality of your computer.It should also be noted that when you run ComboFix it will automatically delete files from the following locations:
  • Windows Recycle Bin
  • Temporary Internet Files
  • Temp Folder

Edited by noknojon, 12 February 2011 - 04:11 AM.

#3 ladyjune

ladyjune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

Hi,
It does have Service Pack 3 installed. I will check the Power Supply Unit first. It that doesn't help I will try the spyware/malware removal. Thank you for responding.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online with the computer Speccy was run on.

One of the causes of this could be a graphics driver, or a failing graphics card/chip.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users