Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Run Regedit.exe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ArthurEiss

ArthurEiss

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:14 AM

I have a massive infection. I came to my wife's family in the Philippines and the computer is massively infected.

Symptoms:
Cannot run regedit.exe - I tried to run this from command.com but it returns "The system cannot locate the file C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe."
Run command missing from Start Menu - I'm pretty sure this is a symptom as I'm also barred from modifying the settings for Start Menu.
Self-replicating executables - One copy of each is found on my desktop, games.exe, mp3.exe and videos.exe. Each of these use a folder icon to disguise themselves. Immediately when deleted, these files re-appear!
Internet Explorer Title Bar Hijacked - The Internet Explorer title bar reads the usual title for the webpage, then appends "Bisdak for Life" which roughly translated means Visayan for Life, or in other words, !@#$ the Tagalogs of Manila!
CMOS settings lost - I replaced the CMOS battery already, and the problem persists. If the computer is turned off for a minute or two, the CMOS settings are lost including date and time etc.
Task Manager Disabled. - Upon pressing Ctrl-Alt-Delete or trying to access the taskmanger through command.com, I'm getting the following message: "Task Manager has been disabled by your Administrator." I am the admin of course, and I did check the settings using gpedit.msc, everything is fine there.
Memory spikes - I can see the memory spikes in the performance log, and they cause a breaks in computer usability. For example, while typing, the text may paus for about 1 second before displaying. Intervals are about 2-5 seconds.

System Specs:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Intel® Celeron® CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz 1.60 GHz, 504 MB of RAM

I'm not sure which of those symptoms may or may not be related to a single infection or how many infections I may have. I haven't tried anything major yet except to Google Bisdak for Life, but only got about 2 hits on that. You guys have been very helpful in the past and I hope you will be able to help me again. Thanx.

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2011 - 08:04 AM.
Moved to AII.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:18 AM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users