Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

open office query

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KonfuzedAlot

KonfuzedAlot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:38 PM

I am wondering if it is possible to save Open Office to an ordinary flash drive. Recently my son (live-in techy) "flattened" my computer so that I have to start from scratch.. I saved all my wanted files (documents, photos, music etc), but he installed Windows office instead of Open office which I was using before.. now I cannot read files which were saved in odt.. some I had saved in windows compatible file format but not all...I don't really want to re-install Open office while Windows is installed but need to access the odt file for study.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:59 PM

A possible fix.

A google search says this.

Edited by ThunderZ, 12 February 2011 - 12:08 AM.

#3 KonfuzedAlot

KonfuzedAlot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:08 AM

Thanks for your fast reply ThunderZ :thumbup2: , the possible fix is talking about code which confuses me :blink::S and I think you still have tohave Open office installed. I checked the google link and it seems that it may be a possiblility but although basically computer literate some things I am still unsure of.. does this mean that I can down load Open Office portable to a flash drive without installing it on my pc? My in-house techy son says Open Office will only slow my pc. He is not home to ask at the moment.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:22 AM

If you are going to run the portable version it will be a bit slower because of the inherent slower speed of the flash drive and USB 2.0 interface as compared to it being written on the actual hard drive.

Actually I see no reason you could not download it to a folder on you hard drive. You could then use it from there as a stand alone application = no install required. It should not affect a thing and not slow down your PC in any fashion.

Regarding the first link, sorry. Should have been a bit more descriptive. I was referring to the last post in the thread and the ODF Plugin 1.2 for Microsoft Office. But upon checking the link posted in the thread, it leads to a dead end.
I`m still doing some digging to see if it is still available from another safe source.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:28 AM

Found it on Softpedia.

A normally safe download site. It is almost 76 MB in size so will take me a couple minutes to d\l it myself then scan it before I feel comfortable recommending it to you.

EDIT; Downloaded and scanned the file with Avast, SAS and MBAM. All three say it is clean.

Normally I would upload a questionable file to an inline scanner but it is over the size limit for the one I use. IMO, you should be quit safe to download and install it. When you click on my initial link it will take you to a page that gives you a download button, then it takes you to another page which gives you two location options to d\l it from. I chose the U.S. link.

Edited by ThunderZ, 12 February 2011 - 01:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users