Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98: Floppy Disk Driver Not Working Properly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jujosa

jujosa

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:31 PM

Hi, friends,
I hope that somebody can help mi in solving the problem I do have with the floppy disk driver (3.5") in my PC. I have windows 98 installed.

The problem is that when I want to store some file on a floppy disk the driver starts writing but suddenly it stops and the PC crushes. It is impossible to continue working with it, so I have to restart it loosing all the information I wanted to store. I already changed the floppy disk driver (hardware) and the cable, but it did not help: the new floppy driver also reads the floppy disk but, when it starts writing, the PC blocks exactly in the same way as with the original driver.

What can be the problem?. I assume that it is not a hardware related problem, since it happens with both floppy disk drivers. Is there somebody who could give me some indication on how to solve this problem?.

Thanks for any help and regards
Jujosa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:17 PM

There are a few things you should check first, are any of the cables bent? and is all the cables plugged in correctly? Into the motherboard as well as the floppy disk drive.

You can try and install another operating system on your PC, and see if that works?

If that doesn't work get back to us and i'm sure someone will know what to do.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:41 PM

Try going to Start>Run>scandisk. This will check your system for errors. If it refuses to run from within windows, boot into Safe Mode with command line and run it from the C: prompt. It is preferrable to rrun in Safe Mode .

EDIT ADD-ON: To enter Safe Mode restart your computer tapping the F8 key. It will bring you to the Boot Menu.

Edited by acklan, 16 December 2005 - 04:43 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:09 AM

This could be a Ram problem. When you try to save a file to a floppy disk that file is first loaded into your Ram (memory) and written to the floppy from there. If your Ram is going bad then that could conceivably lock up the computer. If you want to test your Ram try MemTest - RAM reliability tester

Did you change the floppy drive itself or just the driver?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 jujosa

jujosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for your answers.

I already changed the cable and the floppy drive itself but it didīt help. I didīt change the driver yet, since I could not find a new one in internet. I will run the MemTest-RUM reliability tester as recommended by LEURGY and I will inform you of the results.

Have a happy Christmas!
Jujosa

#6 jujosa

jujosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:23 PM

Hi, Leurgy

I run the MemTest-RAM for about 2 hours and the result was 0 defects in the ram memory. In case you have any additional idea, about how to solve the floppy problem, please let me know.

Thanks
Jujosa

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:25 PM

Remove the floppy controller from the Device Managernot just the floppy. Winows will reinstall the floppy controller when you restart your computer.

#8 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

Remove the floppy controller from the Device Managernot just the floppy. Winows will reinstall the floppy controller when you restart your computer.

This is one good solution........also do check that there is light at your floppy when you boot up.

Side track: You still using floppy drives ah? :thumbsup:
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:30 PM

I have a 5.25" HD, and a LS120 floppy that travels from computer to computer with me. I'll stop when A: and B: are avilable for hard drives. :thumbsup:

#10 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:09 AM

Side track: You still using floppy drives ah? :thumbsup:

They still have their uses, especially for transferring small files from one comp to another (or for booting in a dire emergency).
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#11 jujosa

jujosa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 02:32 PM

Hi Acklan
happy New Year

Sorry for answering you so late but I was traveling over Christmas.

I did what you recommended, removing the floppy controller and restarting the PC again. The controller was installed again by windows but the problem continues. The floppy drive reads well but when it starts writing the PC blocks completely and I have to reboot it.

Any additonal idea?

Thanks again for your help
Jujosa

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:33 PM

The only thing I can think of is a new controller. Sorry. I located one shipped for $9... ISA controller

Just go to the device manager and disable (Not uninstall) the onboard controller. This will only be 8-bit so if you put IDE hard drives or CD/DVD it will be painfully slow.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users