Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes updates but wont finish scan

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 barlow

barlow

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

I've uninstalled any previous versions and loaded the latest free version. It will update when opened but won't finish a scan, hangs up after a few minutes. Task Manager will show it as not responding with the hangup? Please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:00 AM

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk used capacity (number of files to include temporary files) that have to be scanned.
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from the user.
-- Using two security scanning engines at the same time can cause each to interfere with the other, cause systems hangs, false detections, unreliable results and other unpredictable behavior.

-- If the screensaver, hibernation or Sleep Mode are not turned off before scanning, those features can sometimes have odd effects when attempting to resume normal mode.

Note: It is not unusual for an anti-virus or anti-malware scanner to be suspicious of some compressed, archived, .cab .jar and packed files because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These kind of files often trigger alerts by security software using heuristic detection because they are resistant to scanning (difficult to read). This resistance may also result in some scanners to stall (hang) on these particular types of files or just ignore (skip) them.

To speed up your scans, clean out the temporary files or use ATF Cleaner first, temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools, close all open programs, do not use the computer during the scan and then make sure you only do a Quick Scan. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is designed to remove malware as effectively with a Quick Scan as it will with a Full Scan which takes much longer to complete. Both do full heuristics, memory, load points and multiple other malware checks. The Quick Scan looks at the most prevalent places for active malware so scanning every single file on the drive isn't always necessary. The Full Scan only has the ability to catch more traces in rare circumstances.

If you still cannot run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or complete a scan in normal mode, then try performing a Quick Scan in "safe mode".

Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. MBAM is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM but sometimes there is no alternative but to do a safe mode scan. If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan, reboot normally, update the database definitions through the program's interface (preferable method) and try rescanning again.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 barlow

barlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for the education quietman7! I will follow your instructions, but just to be clear, when the scan hangs up and I open the task manager box (Cntl Alt Delt) and it shows program not responding, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not still running/scanning?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

In most cases it means its not responding to your commands (i.e. attempt to pause, stop or close). However, I have seen this happen while a scan still appears to be running. Other times the scanning engine itself will stop/stall and not continue for various reasons as I described.

#5 barlow

barlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

Understand. Thanks again, I'll give all a try. Aloha.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Not a problem.

#7 barlow

barlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

Well, I waited patiently (@22 mins) for the scan to complete and it indicated I had something called PUP.Zwangi in it in C:\program files\Zumie. I had it removed and/or quarantined and did a rescan and nothing showed up......yet? Do you know anything about Zwangi/Zumie?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:13 PM