Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Spooler, Photo Editor, and Safemode, Slow Running

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Z06F4i

Z06F4i

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:54 PM

Windows XP Home:

A week ago, I tried to open a PDF in an email attatchement from a trusted friend which had our tickets to an event (to print) and this was the first time I noticed a problem. Everything froze up and since then I have had numerous problems. The file was not corrupt, just happened to be what I noticed first that I can remember. Last scans all turned up clean. I am having the following problems:

1. Originally had printer spooler error when booting - not showing now but still can't print.
2. Safe mode not available option when booting
3. There was no prior recovery date I could revert to other than the current date.
4. When trying to print, opening control panel, and opening an image in Microsoft photo editor - computer freezes (These are only ones I know of so far.)
5. Computer running slow
6. SSMMgr.exe error when shutting down.

I have run Malware bytes, Ccleaner, and Super antispyware. They do not find anything. At this point, since I can't do a Recovery and tried booting from the CD but have no floppy drive. I am thinking, I would just like to reinstall XP, but I was unable to do that either.

Can anyone provide help? Thank you.

Edited by Z06F4i, 11 February 2011 - 06:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

I quick googling shows SSMgr.exe is the "Samsung Laser Printer status monitor".

I would go into add/remove programs and remove this.

If you have the printer disc than uninstall the printer, reboot, reinstall, reboot, and see if it works then.

As far as the restore, are you talking about system restore? If you go to system properties (right click My Computer and go to properties), then click system protection, make sure that protection is turned on.

I have windows 7 so the screens and tabs might be a little different but basically System Restore is what you are looking for.

Anyway, if you didn't turn it off yourself and it's turned off then you may be infected in which case I would start a new thread in the infected board and end this one.

Hope that helps, keep me posted and I'll try and help if it doesn't.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

<<I would just like to reinstall XP, but I was unable to do that either.>>

Well...you can tell us why you were "unable to do that".

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 February 2011 - 07:12 PM.

#4 Z06F4i

Z06F4i
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

I quick googling shows SSMgr.exe is the "Samsung Laser Printer status monitor".

I would go into add/remove programs and remove this.

If you have the printer disc than uninstall the printer, reboot, reinstall, reboot, and see if it works then.

As far as the restore, are you talking about system restore? If you go to system properties (right click My Computer and go to properties), then click system protection, make sure that protection is turned on.

I have windows 7 so the screens and tabs might be a little different but basically System Restore is what you are looking for.

Anyway, if you didn't turn it off yourself and it's turned off then you may be infected in which case I would start a new thread in the infected board and end this one.

Hope that helps, keep me posted and I'll try and help if it doesn't.

It freezes when I try to remove any programs and sometimes when just going into the Control Panel. I just tried removing the Samsung program and it froze. I am not sure if I ever turned off Recovery - I do not think so. I has been on since I turned it on yesterday. As far as reinstaling XP - I don't have a floppy drive and not sure what to do about that. When I tried booting from the CD it just sat there. I am obviously far from an expert. I am guessing an infection - I will move this.

Edited by Z06F4i, 11 February 2011 - 07:29 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

Not sure what a floppy drive (or lack thereof)...has to do with installing Windows XP.

Louis

#6 Z06F4i

Z06F4i
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

Not sure what a floppy drive (or lack thereof)...has to do with installing Windows XP.

Louis

Well that makes 2 of us.

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

You're probably right about the infection, good luck, post back here if that's not it.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

New post in AII, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic379040.html/page__p__2130918#entry2130918

To prevent possible confusion, I am closing this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users