Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something New - Application called "12"?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Veebz

Veebz

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

Earlier today I noticed something odd in my task bar - all of the application windows I opened had "12" preceding the rest of their name. 12 Yahoo! Messenger, 12 Firefox, etcetera. Upon opening my task manager I noticed that in addition to the windows I was running, there were a bunch of applications called "12" in the applications list. When I tried Go To Process, I found that they were all linked to explorer.exe... so I simply restarted the explorer and they disappeared. About an hour later I noticed them back, so I ran a Malwarebytes quick scan - it yielded one result, a gamevance.exe adware file, which it then removed. I've been aware of gamevance (Shared computer, and people like clicking links to free games) as a pest, but I don't ever remember this odd "12" stuff popping up before. Running msconfig showed nothing unusual in my start up programs, and a full scan of Malwarebytes has yielded no results... is this something new, or was it just part of gamevance? A google search has yielded very basic information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

OK -
You posted a simple (good) question and I only have one dumb response -
As I am linked from Australia (never sure of time between here and other places) Today is the 12th - - - :whistle:
Ignore this silly reply as hamluis may have a decent reply for you -

Thanks -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

I've no answer :), I've never known filenames to change on my systems during my years of playing with computers.

If it did happen, I would have to assume malware of some type.

Louis

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:17 PM

Make sure you fully update your copy of Malwarebytes Antimalware and run a Full Scan to see if any other items are noted - This may take between 30 and 60 mins -

As above (from hamluis) this is very odd !!! :blink: Hence my silly first response - My Yahoo Messenger, etc. has not altered , so it must be local (your computer) -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users