Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop fan spins fast but computer does not boot...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

Ok, so i have a Laptop, i cannot tell you the make as it doesn't actually have one at all that i can see...

When the laptop did work, the second you turned it on the fan would spin at its maximum speed for about 2 seconds and then show the post screen (i believe it just tests the fan at that point)

Now however, when the power is pressed, the fan spins at its max speed and it just stays like that, there is no display at all, just the fan. This happens 90% of the time...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hello David and welcome to the forum!

The laptop should have some identifying markings for make/model on it somewhere.
You cant exactly "custom build" a laptop like you can a tower.

Turn it over & see if there is a sticker or plate on it that can ID it for us.
Thanks!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:30 AM

I have attached the image that is the only form of identification on the Laptop...

The only other sticker or text or logo on it is the Windows Logo with "made for XP" under it, and im sure that wont really help :)

Thanks very much :)

Attached Files

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:39 AM

You cant exactly "custom build" a laptop like you can a tower.

You may want to take a look at this site.:whistle:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:44 AM

David Ashcroft, that is a Infinity laptop.

The first thing that I think of is that you need to purchase can of pressurized air and blow out the laptop. This could be heat related.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

Sorry, I should explain what I have done already. The Laptop comes from a Farm, the location is VERY VERY dusty so my first thought was to clean out the dust as it hasn't been cleaned properly in about 8 years...

Ive opened the laptop and cleaned the dust out thoroughly, i have also removed the RAM and replaced it as well as the cmos battery for about 15 minutes to see if this would do anything for it.

Not really any luck with those things unfortunately :(

Edited by David Ashcroft, 13 February 2011 - 09:57 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:10 AM

What operating system is installed on this computer?

Did the laptop quit working just after you cleaned out the inside of it and replaced the RAM?

When you removed the RAM and replaced it, do you mean that you reinstalled the same RAM?

In the process of cleaning out the insides did you remove the fan and heat sink assembly from the CPU?

#8 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

I mean i just removed the RAM and replaced the same RAM back.

The OS is Windows XP Pro.

And no, its had this problem for a while, it sometimes boots fine, but most of the time the fan just comes on full speed with no screen (its like its testing the fan and isnt stopping the test) . I just cleaned it out becuase i believed it would resolve the issue.

I didnt remove the fan and heat sink, i was able to remove the keyboard to get to the heat sink and i was able to remove the plastic all the plastic to get to the fan from the bottom so i was able to clean it fully without removing it.

Thanks.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

The fan isn't usually "tested". If this fan is the one on the CPU it is temperature controlled. As the temperature of the CPU goes up the rpm of the fan is increased. I'm guessing that you have another computer which you are using to post here? If so I would suggest downloading Speedfan and transfer it to the laptop via a flash drive to monitor the temperature of the CPU.

When the screen goes blank, does it at least show the POST? If you aren't familiar with this, it's the Power-on self test, POST for short. The POST is a built-in diagnostic program that checks your hardware to ensure that everything is present and functioning properly before the BIOS begins the actual boot. It later continues with additional tests (such as the memory test that you see printed on the screen) as the boot process is proceeding. There is a thermal sensing device located by the CPU which monitors the temperature. If this is faulty it could cause some of these symptoms. Monitoring the temperatures can help us to determine if this is what is happening.

#10 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

This issue only occurs during startup, as soon as the button is turned on the fan will either run at 100% for about 2 seconds, and then show the post screen and boot into windows (this has always happened in the past)

Or if the issue occurs then you press the power button, the fan runs at 100%, but after 2 seconds it continues to run at 100% and the screen never comes on...

As this only happens as soon as its turned on, its usually cold.

I have already used speedfan, and idle temps are around 55 digrees C and during heavy use they get to about 75 digrees C.

Thanks.

#11 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

Any more suggestions on this one? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users