Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 on windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AKR

AKR

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

Resolved. See my last post.

I'm trying to install Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Suite 10. I would ask on the sony forums, but they are complete idiots with their impossibly complicated registration process for the forums (telling you your zipcode is wrong but not giving you a place to actually give it to them, or telling you need a computer ID number when you can't find it unless you install the software...which won't install).

Anyway, I try to install it on windows 7 Home Edition 64bit, and there's a problem with Microsoft Visual C++ 2005. It says it needs to install the service pack for it, but when I click to install it via the Sony software, it says "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click Ok to try again or enter alternative path to a folder containing the installation package 'vcredist.msi' in the box below."

I read around and others have this problem, so they uninstall c++ 2005 and reinstall it and it tends to work for them. Well, I can't uninstall it and start over as it needs the same file to uninstall it. Catch22.

I downloaded a vcredist.msi file from rapidshare, but it didn't work. I can't find just that file on the MS site. There's a vcredist.exe, but I think you have to some how extract it from that, but it won't work. I can't do anything with this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by AKR, 12 February 2011 - 08:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:37 PM

Try to install this over the top http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=eb4ebe2d-33c0-4a47-9dd4-b9a6d7bd44da

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 AKR

AKR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

Try to install this over the top http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=eb4ebe2d-33c0-4a47-9dd4-b9a6d7bd44da

Yeah, I can't.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

I'm afraid, I'm not there, so I can't see why :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 AKR

AKR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:31 AM

Fixed. Other people had used the windows installer cleanup utility to remove the old version of C++ 2005, but since it's a retired program and windows already has a uninstaller program as part of windows, I thought I was accomplishing the same thing by using the standard Windows program remover. Well, not true. I downloaded the old cleanup utility that isn't even meant for Win 7, used it and successfully uninstalled C++ 2005.

Then, I had another issue with permissions (and this is why windows 7 is a huge failure) with an error 1403 error. Had to dig around in the registry and mess with permissions for an hour until it finally worked.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

Nice job :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 zopfan

zopfan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:47 AM

Just use 7Zip to extract VCRedist.msi from vcredist_x86.exe. Its very simple. Very very simple. No Command prompt or run commands. No searching the required msi from temp folders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users