Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux on a 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 John79

John79

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

I have used Linux before and it does not seem to work well on 64 bit and dual booting. I have never tried booting linux from a pendrive I have vista ultimate 64 bit os 8 gigas of RAM and two HDDs 300 and a 500. I have a 16 giga pendrive will that work its HP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:03 AM

A 32 bit linux os should work just fine on a 64 bit system even in a dual boot setup.
It will just not see/use all of the memory.

As for the pendrive - YES - that should work .

What Linux Distro are you going to try ?

I presently have a dual boot setup and both my Linux and Win XP SP3 work very well - although it is a 32 bit system.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:17 AM

In my experience, you cannot install a 32 bit operating system on the same hard drive as a 64 bit Operating system and expect them to dual boot properly. If your using dual hard drives or, like you say a pen drive, it should work ok, but the two dont in my experience work when trying to install a 32 bit linux OS on a partition with a hard drive containing 64 bit windows. I have however, noticed the linuxs that I have had the most luck running 64 bit are OpenSuSe, and Ubuntu. They may be worth a try if you havent already.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:57 AM

I have used Linux before and it does not seem to work well on 64 bit and dual booting . . .

If 64-bit is desired,
a) Do not dual-boot -- install another dedicated hard drive, instead;
b) since Linux is not new to you and 64-bit is preferred, I suggest you try either
i) aptosid as put forth here
& downloaded here or
ii) salix64-13.1.2-xfce

Have fun! & Best wishes!

Edited by pane-free, 13 February 2011 - 04:57 AM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

Sorry to necro an old topic, but could someone elaborate on the issue of installing 64 bit linux to a HD with 32 bit Windows?

I have already done this, and both OS's seem to work fine. However, GRUB still gives me the option to "continue the installation" of Linux (Debian "Wheezy" if it matters) whenever I opt to boot Windows XP.

Are there any other problems I should worry about? and is there an easy way to fix the GRUB boot loader that doesn't risk making my machine un-bootable?

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:12 AM

64 bit Linux will run fine alonside of 32 bit Windows if there is a 64 bit CPU installed. That presents no problem.

However, as pane-free has stated in post #4, it's good for the safety of the Windows install to have Linux on a spare or 2nd drive. In the BIOS, one can decide which drive wants to be the first to boot & move it up. Normally this will be the drive containing the most used OS. To accomplish this, remove the power & data cables from the drive containing Windows, the Linux installer won't see it. Once Linux is installed & updated, then shut down & plug the Windows drive back in. Upon reboot, that's when it's needed to go into the BIOS & make the needed changes.

This gives the user the option to press whatever "F" key needed at boot to access the other drive & Linux won't overwrite the Windows boot loader.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

Yes, no problem having 64 bit Linux and 32 bit Windows installed.  I have exactly that setup on one computer.

As an aside, most current 32bit distributions of Linux (which have PAE support) will recognise more than 4gb memory.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

The way that I described above is also the way that Linux Mint is installed on two (soon to be three) computers & both works well. Should I decide to install a newer version, I simply do as above, remove the SSD containing Windows (these are notebooks) & install the new one on the OEM HDD.

This way has worked fine for me for 3-4 years.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

I suppose it would have been safer to install Linux to it's own drive, but I am not made of hard drives. I have exactly 1 internal HD with 2 OS's on it (Win XP and Linux), and 1 external HD with no OS on it- because I don't want to boot and run an OS through a USB connection (at least not long-term). I was OK with running Linux off of a thumb drive short term though, because it was just an experiment.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

I was OK with running Linux off of a thumb drive short term though, because it was just an experiment.

Well, being that you already have a Windows/Linux dual boot, you have 2 choices. Replace your current Linux with the 64 bit version.

Or for safety & to see just how it's going to run, try it out on a Flash drive. I don't know which Linux version you're running because you didn't state it. If it's an Ubuntu based one, the Debian one will install differently & not need reinstall (Debian is a rolling distro). I've only tried Debian once, that was running from a virtual machine.

I highly recommend that you try this out separate, if only to see how it acts on your computer. Simply unplug the power & data cables from your computer (or if notebook remove the drive) & install Debian to the Flash drive. It's best to play it safe to preserve what you have.

Cat

#11 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:33 AM

My Debian is the 64 bit one. I was mostly responding to this:

In my experience, you cannot install a 32 bit operating system on the same hard drive as a 64 bit Operating system and expect them to dual boot properly. 

and making a possible connection to why my boot loader still gives the "continue with installation" option, even though the installation has been finished for close to a week now.

I just don't like things that don't work like they are supposed to, unless I understand why they didn't work like they were supposed to, and can predict what might happen next. And of course what might happen next has to be something I can live with.

In the case of my system, I think the bootloader mess-up isn't very bad, won't get worse, and probably isn't a symptom of anything else (i.e. it's not an indication of a bigger screw-up during my install)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users