Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PostgreSQL causing PC to freeze.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 techforcity

techforcity

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:18 AM

Ok, so I have a couple p6540f HP desktops and they totally freeze up at random times. I've made sure that all the updates were turned off, etc that would make it freeze. When I say freeze, I mean totally lock up like I can't even move the cursor or task manager out. The only way to get my computer up and running again is to hard reset it.

I've been checking my event viewer everytime it freezes up and I haven't seen anything that would raise a red flag. I then found something called Advanced Event Viewer and after it froze a couple times I ran the report from the program and I got a lot of errors and warnings about PostgreSQL creating problems at the time of the freeze. Does anyone know what this is and how I can go about fixing it so my computer doesn't freeze all the time? It'll be fine for a week or two at a time and then just start doing it a lot again. It doesn't make any sense and it's more annoyying than anything. Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:47 AM

Please post the exact warning...as it appears.

Louis

#3 techforcity

techforcity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

Type: Warning
Time: 2/11/2011 8:58:05 AM
User: N/A
Computer: RDUNLAP
Category: None
Event: 0
Source: PostgreSQL
WARNING: worker took too long to start; cancelled

#4 techforcity

techforcity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:54 AM

I got this too as well.

Type: Warning
Time: 2/11/2011 8:29:53 AM
User: SYSTEM
Computer: RDUNLAP
Category: None
Event: 1517
Source: Userenv
Windows saved user *****\rdunlap registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

Well...my general experience is that warnings in Event Viewer are to be ignored, they are not errors that the system has noted, but more in the nature of administrative comments.

So, I generally ignore all warnings, while paying attention to errors noted in Event Viewer.

I guess that I'm curious as to how you determined that this database program...is responsible for your freezing. I would be looking for a better candidate, amongst the errors reflected in Event Viewer. Or examing the possibility of system overheating. Or any number of other likely causes.

Do you have any actual errors that appear in Event Viewer...that approximate your freezes?

Have you looked at the Application tab in Event Viewer for errors?

Let's see what others think :).

Louis

#6 techforcity

techforcity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

Well...my general experience is that warnings in Event Viewer are to be ignored, they are not errors that the system has noted, but more in the nature of administrative comments.

So, I generally ignore all warnings, while paying attention to errors noted in Event Viewer.

I guess that I'm curious as to how you determined that this database program...is responsible for your freezing. I would be looking for a better candidate, amongst the errors reflected in Event Viewer. Or examing the possibility of system overheating. Or any number of other likely causes.

Do you have any actual errors that appear in Event Viewer...that approximate your freezes?

Have you looked at the Application tab in Event Viewer for errors?

Let's see what others think :).

Louis

I come to this conclusion because these computers are a couple months old, and I know for a fact that they are not overheating (seeing that it is happening on more than one computer, so that would make it an incredible coincidence if they both were overheating, epecially with them being new.) Also, when running this program on both computers, the error's timestamp is the exact time that the computer locks up. That is how I came to the conclusion that this is causing the issue. Everytime the computer freezes, this error shows up at the same time of the lockup.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:29 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostgreSQL

Sorry, but I can't really tell you anything.

I've never heard of this database until today...if you have it installed, I suppose that you can remove it and see if the problems continue.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users