Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:26 AM

I have a computer that has a RAID 1 with 2 160GB hard drives which have server 2000 on them. I was wanting to replace the 160GB with 1 TB hard drives and rebuild the RAID 1 with server 2008. My question is if the new 1TB drives with 2008 don't work can I put the old ones back in and boot the old RAID back up with windows server 2000?

My initial thought is that it will not work as I would have to rebuild the RAID with the old drives (if I use them again) and the data would have to be over written. I do know that I can still pull the data off the drives when I get the new ones in there as this is the main reason that I am doing this. The main thing was to make sure that I am able to get everything working on the new drives so I am not keeping the computers down as long.

Thanks in advanced,
uByte

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2011 - 07:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 uByte

uByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

Due to the lack of response I guess I am the only one that has ever thought of this.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

Since RAID 1 is a mirror your data will remain intact if you remove the array. I would think as you should be able to reestablish the mirror using the old drives since they are already formatted and used as a mirror you would just point to the drives, set up the mirror, and everything should be good. Just be sure to put them back and set them exactly as the they were being primary and secondary. I would think worst case the secondary drive would re-write everything.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users