Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:09 AM
Greetings. This is my first post, and I hope you'll not take it the wrong way if I hope for it to be the last!
The other day, my Win 7 computer crashed big time. I rebooted it, and I've had to do assorted cleaning up operations on it to get it to work properly. This included going back to a previous System Restore point, resetting the Winsock catalogue, and resetting the TCP/IP stack. And reinstalling Google Chrome! Everything "network-y" that I expect to work now works correctly (e.g. WS_FTP, Chrome/Firefox/IE, etc) - all except Skype.
As soon as Skype goes online, my default browser (which happens to be Chrome) pops up and opens up a squillion and one tabs with long URLs consisiting solely of numbers. My DNS is through OpenDNS, and every one of those tabs comes back with a "blocked" message, and OpenDNS now thinks that I have a malware bot attack (which I don't - I've checked!)
The system carries on opening up tabs in Chrome until (after many false starts since the browser window always comes to the front for each new tab) I quit Skype, when it all stops. So Skype is the problem application, but what I am not clear about is whether or not it is Skype or something still sitting in Windows somewhere. On the off-chance that it can be fixed by a simple reset like the winsock catalogue, I'm posting here (as well as on Skype forums!) in the hope that your combined wisdom can help!
I've uninstalled Skype. Then I've gone back and removed all the folders and registry keys that uninstalling Skype doesn't remove (which annoys me - uninstallers should uninstall!), except for a small handful of "devices" e.g. #SkypeVoiceInTopo that I cannot delete, even in safe mode, and even with permissions set to "full control". Then I've rebooted the system, ensured that no other applications are runnng, and then installed the latest version from a fresh download. And I get exactly the same problem, every time.
FWIW, I changed the default browser and all that happens is Firefox then pops up all the messages instead of Chrome. As far as I can guess, something is redirecting what ought to be a comms stream from Skype over whatever protocol it uses, to the HTTP service instead, which is then firing up the browser. Chrome doesn't have the Skype plugin, Firefox does but it is disabled.
It's not the router, because Skype behaves perfectly on other PCs, so it's on the PC. As I said, I've reset most things that I could find out about along the way, but nothing helps. It's driving me mad, and I've lost several hours already trying to fix it, so if anyone has any bright ideas please let me know! Happy to run diagnostics and post files, but you'll have to tell me what to do!