Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk /f while trying to defrag

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mariposa!

mariposa!

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:17 AM

hi apologies if i am in the wrong forum or break a rule, i did read the how to and am attempting to follow protocol :)

i am trying to help a friend defragment his hard drive. it is almost full and i feel that a defrag could help.

he is running windows xp home edition 2002 service pack 3 on a dell vostro 1000

every time we try to run disk defragment we get an error saying
"Disk defrag has detected that chkdsk/f is scheduled to run on C drive."

i googled for help but everyone has different answers so i decided i would not try 800 different things and just come here and ask for one educated person to help me out :)

we did however try start menu>run> chkdsk /f and chose y and rebooted but we still get that error when we try to defrag.

thanks in advance for any help :)

:killcomp:  me before bleeping computer  :smash:  me after bleeping computer :bowdown:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:42 AM

Hi mariposa! -
Try a Checkdisk r scan with this code below - Copy and paste the code into Run Box and then close all open programs (including internet) - Once you do this click OK and your computer will shut down and reboot after 30 seconds

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

Please allow this scan to check/repair your system - It may take 30 to 40 mins so please let it run and it will reboot back to normal screen after it is finished -
This may also clear the chkdsk/f item -
Note that there should be a gap between the k and / -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 11 February 2011 - 04:24 PM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

Do you have an XP CD? If the above method doesn't work for you, boot to the XP CD and choose the first repair option - that will take you to the recovery console. Once there, run: chkdsk /r

Also, you say the drive is almost full. How large is the drive and how much free space is there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users