Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Share User Profile on SBS2003 domain

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adaniel

adaniel

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:50 AM

I have a situation where, because of a RIF, one user will be working from two computers. Her Domain user profile is on the local PC she has been using, PC-03: c:\Documents and Settings\connie. Is there an way to allow her to login to the domain on PC-01, her second position, with the same username and access the profile on PC-03? Since the entire domain is set up with local profiles, I hate to have the odd situation where her profile resides on the server. Can I, under Server Management, simply enter \\PC-03\connie as the profile path? Or do I have to go throught the process of making her a roaming user, which I have tried, but without success?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
adaniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

There are only two ways I can think of to configure this. One is to create the roaming profile which is explained here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324749 if you don't know the process. The second option would be to have her use RDP to logon remotely to the other PC if this is an option.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 adaniel

adaniel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

Thanks, Baltboy,

I tried using \\PC-03\connie as the profile path, which got me her desktop and docs, but not her email. She uses Outlook Express, which would not let me change the store path to the PC-03 folder. I imported her email account and tried switching identities to access both, but that has issues. I thought about using VNC, which I use here all the time, but did not think about RDP. I'll give that a shot and see how it does; it should get us what we need. I'll try it over the weekend and post back.

Thanks again,
adaniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users