Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue's with Start up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CherryKissies

CherryKissies

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

Ok bare with me while I explain as simply as I can my possessed computer..
Got up one morning computer was off and wouldn't come back on..Took it to Best Buy Geeks and they clicked the start button and it came right on several times..They suggested maybe I needed another power surge protector, (Bought 1), went home connected everything and NOTHING..Opened computer bypassed motherboard to test Power supply (300 Watt), It came right on..Moved computer to every socket in house, NOTHING..Took it back to Best Buy they clicked start and it came back on everything started up just fine....I bring it back home plug it in and NOTHING..Took it next door used their plug and nothing..Took it BACK to Best Buy Geeks, they clicked the start button and I'll be damn if it didn't come back on again..They checked my power supply(Perfect), they even by passed the start button and it still came on..They said everything was fine, good computer, working great..SO once again I bring it home plugged it in, just computer, nothing else and once again Nothing..So I checked my plug in sockets, voltage 119.0 and 0 ground. I tried to bypass the start button and still Nothing..The guy at Best Buy said maybe I should move there since my computer only seems to start there..LOL I was so pissed I went and bought another new cable cord..Once again nothing..My old computer that I'm on now is in the same plug I would use for my good computer..I've tried using the power surge as a connection, Nothing, but will work on this computer I'm on now..I've tried plugging it directly into the main wall socket and NOTHING.....No one seems to know why it starts at Best Buy but not at my home..
I even talked to Gateway about this too, they don't have an answer either....Any suggestions????

Stats on computer:
Gateway DX4200-UB001A
Windows Vista 64 bit home premium
ATI Radeon HD 3450 video
Super Multi-format DVD+RW DL with Labelflash
6gb DDR2 Dual Channel memory
AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core processor
640 gb Hard Drive
15-1 memory card reader

Edited by CherryKissies, 11 February 2011 - 06:39 PM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CherryKissies

CherryKissies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

Can anyone help me please???

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

Total shot in the dark. Does the PS have an on\off switch? If so it would be located on the back of the machine around the same area as where the power cord plugs in.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:16 PM

Hello & welcome to the forum!

This is a good one but Im a bit confused as to how the folks at Best Buy can click the start button if the system isnt on. It consistently works at Best Buy but no other place.

Are they doing anything different to turn the system on than you are?
What could be different though? Push the power button.

You also tried another power chord which was a good idea.
Even went so far as to take it to your neighbors.

Well, Best Buy does have a bunch of really cool large screen TV's.
Maybe they can rent you a little living space and put a LazyBoy on front of one for you.

What USB devices do you have plugged into the system?
Your power supply is only 300 watts which really isnt much these days.
Im wondering if something is putting too much of a load on it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:17 PM

Total shot in the dark. Does the PS have an on\off switch? If so it would be located on the back of the machine around the same area as where the power cord plugs in.

Good thinking ThundereZ. I was wondering about that too.
You posted at the same time as me.

I kinda like the LazyBoy in front of the big screen TV solution though.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

I kinda like the LazyBoy in front of the big screen TV solution though.

:thumbup2: A lazyboy and a 52" HD would do the trick for me. :hysterical:

Those backside PS buttons have tripped me up more then once. Have hit them with my hand when moving or carrying a tower more then once.

Used to really throw me for a loop :crazy: until I finally realized what was happening.

Edited by ThunderZ, 11 February 2011 - 07:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users