Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Profile Service service failed the login.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

Ok have a serious problem with a Windows 7 PC.

When you boot you get the login screen, click login, then instantly displayed with this message:

"User Profile Service service failed the login.
User Profile cannot be located."

You cannot log into windows normally or in safe mode, I don't use the PC as its someone else's so I don't have any other information as they don't know either they just turned it off and this is what happened when they turned it on.

So its a mystery at the moment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

There's this from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

If you have a Hiren's boot CD or something similar, you could boot to a MiniXP environ, load the registry from the affected system, and perform the registry edits that Microsoft suggests.

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:03 PM

been there and doesn't help me its all when you are logged on to windows I cannot do this.

#4 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:55 PM

That's why you use the boot CD I mentioned. Use that on the affected system and boot into the MiniXP environment. Use the Registry Editor PE application to load the registry from the affected system. Make the changes that Microsoft suggests. It will work; I've done it for the same problem in Vista.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:29 AM

Does this system login via Safe Mode?

Hit F8 just before the Windows Splash Screen.

#6 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:37 AM

Does this system login via Safe Mode?

Hit F8 just before the Windows Splash Screen.

if you read the first post you would have got your answere: "You cannot log into windows normally or in safe mode"

And your answer Knight_of_BAAWA -
how'm i gonna get a boot cd for the PC when I don't have another PC to make one? I only have a Mac that I'm using now.

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:50 AM

was given a link to download a windows 7 boot disk but the stupid PC doesn't allow to boot from cd. I even tried the recovery CDs and they won't work either. So looks as if I'm up the creek on this one.

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:17 AM

dunno how but I managed to boot with that windows 7 boot disk, i have the registry open anything in there i can do????

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:47 AM

I'm suppose to have a folder 'S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXX' inthe registry but there's nothing in there, just these three

S-1-5-18
S-1-5-19
S-1-5-20

So I have a problem?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

If that folder is missing in the registry then your registry has become corrupted and you may need to reinstall Windows.

#11 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

if the case will be to reinstall windows what would be best option:

1. reinstall PC with recovery discs as it was factory, and use the system manufacturer upgrade to windows 7 (supplied when purchased machine).

2. Buy a Windows 7 for a nice clean installation and so I have a disk for repair installation if I come to problems. (i have the drivers for PC)

#12 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

how'm i gonna get a boot cd for the PC when I don't have another PC to make one? I only have a Mac that I'm using now.

Because ISOs are OS agnostic. ISOs are an industry image standard. Hiren comes in a ZIP or RAR file (which I'm sure your Mac can handle), and within that is the ISO. So long as you have software to burn disk images such as ISO, you can do it.

#13 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

Because ISOs are OS agnostic. ISOs are an industry image standard. Hiren comes in a ZIP or RAR file (which I'm sure your Mac can handle), and within that is the ISO. So long as you have software to burn disk images such as ISO, you can do it.

I managed a boot disk, I can't get access to the OS system other then getting access to Command Prompt thingy where I can gain access to the registry which I found that the user profile is gone not to be found.

#14 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

The boot disk you have sounds like it's an OS install disk. What you need is something to load the registry hive from the installed OS on the system. Please follow my instructions from above (Hiren's boot disk 13.1, boot from that, go to MiniXP).

Once you're in MiniXP, go to the Hiren's menu and select registry tools, then Registry Editor PE. Tell it where the registry is located (C:\Windows). Click on next several times until it asks you if you want to load a user profile. Click no. The registry editor will then open. Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and then REMOTE_SOFTWARE (that is the hive from the OS installed on the system). From there, follow the instructions on the Microsoft KB link above. If you do not see the long string of numbers indicating the user profile is there, then a reinstall of Windows will be necessary. Otherwise, follow the instructions from the KB link. Close out of the registry editor when you're finished, let it save the hive changes, and then you can restart the system. All should be good.

#15 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:11 PM

I don't think your way will be any better/different, I think the user profile is lost and a reinstall of windows is needed. There is/was only one user account 'administrator' on the system. Your link to the site I can't find any download.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users