Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

search button

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

Hello everyone.

I was wondering were I can read up on search buttons. :whistle:
I was looking in http://www.w3schools.com but I could not find information about it.

I wanted to learn how to create a search button and then type something in it and then have it pull all of my html pages
that contain the keywords come up.
What languages should I know in order to achieve this? For example css, php etc...

Well thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

ok, for starters CSS is not a programming language; neither is HTML.

You are not going to find anything on 'search buttons' because creating a search feature means utilizing different technologies to accomplish a series of tasks. For starters, you need a box to type in the search term. That is HTML. Somehow you have to get that search term back to the server so that it can comb through your pages. you are either going to use Javascript and AJAX to accomplish this, or you are going to use a simple HTML form. On the server side you are going to need something to get the request and process it. That can be anything really; PHP, PERL, Java, etc. Then your next choice is to determine whether you want to use built in capabilities of the operating system, or if you want to roll your own search functions. For example, on a *nix based system, you could use PHP to run grep on the directories that contain your web pages. Or you could write some code to open each of your files one by one and build a list of those pages that contain the search term. However you decide to build your list, you return that list in some form to the client computer so that they can choose the appropriate link to click on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users