Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Defrag

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

The disk defrag gives me the following message:

Disk defragmenter is currently using another setting. Before you can use it please remove it from the other setting.

I have no idea what this means or how to fix it. Anybody ever have this problem???

Also Get this error: Task Machine UA Corrupted

Is there a way to change the title to encompass both questions? I got the 2nd error after posting this thread so didn't include it earlier.

Edited by kcsummer, 10 February 2011 - 04:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 w7pro

w7pro

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

That seems very odd. Have you tried running a virus scan to see if there is something that is infecting your machine?

Barring that, you may want to do a system restore to its last point that it was running well and then see if your defragmenter will work.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

#3 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

I just did a restore this morning to stop a popup error message that went off every 5 seconds. The first one didn't work. So I went to the last one and it helped somewhat.

I just tried to do a check disk and it cam back okay. But then when I tried to do the defrag I got the same message about it being set up with another program??? I haven't a clue any other program it refers to. It shows a remove settings tab but it doesn't change anything, just a placebo I guess. :inlove:

It only showed restore back to about 3 or 4 days ago. Is there a way to restore back further than that???

Edited by kcsummer, 10 February 2011 - 05:09 PM.

#4 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

It is starting to seem like it thinks there is some kind of timed defrag schedule set up. If so where would I find it, I don't recall doing it or where it would be located????

The problems keep backing up trying to fix one I just find another.

#5 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

If you search for disc defragmenter at the bottom of your start list it will show you if there is a schedule set.

Edited by jburd1800, 10 February 2011 - 06:12 PM.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#6 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

Heres a thought. Because you have so many threads about so many different issues........why not tell the moderators that you think closing all the threads and starting over with one, and staying on one, would be best? Close all and start a fresh thread on one issue?

Closed to avoid further confusion. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic373637.html ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 15 February 2011 - 09:40 PM.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users