Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connections drops every once in a while

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

I have upto two computers hooked up wirelessly to a router. The router is a belkin G router. My setup is like this: One computer is upstairs in a separate room from where the router is. It is a desktop that has a belkin wireless adapter. The other computer is a laptop that is downstairs that has an internal wifi card. Problem is that randomly the wireless connection gets dropped. The way I connect again is to unplug the modem and the router, and reconnect after 10 seconds. I havent noticed this happening on the upstairs computer. So I thought that maybe the walls of the house or the different levels (upstairs vs downstairs) were what was affecting connectivity, but if it was, wouldnt it prevent the downstairs laptop from connecting in the first place?

I changed the channels that the router was broadcasting on, but the problem still persists. Im wondering, could the G rating on the router be causing this, that maybe a G router doesnt have a big enough range? Would using an N router work better? The distance from the upstairs router to the downstairs laptop is maybe 20 feet at the most so Im guessing a G router should work, but Im not sure. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

How old is the router? Their life span generally is not over 3 years, it could be giving you the signal that it is time to replace it. I just had to replace mine and went to N.

The N router does have a bigger range, but at 20 feet the G should be more than sufficient, so I doubt that's the problem.

Sometimes another device can interfere with the router's signal and knock if off line, for instance a microwave oven or a 2.4 GHz wireless phone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users