Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connectiong Pc With Wxp Sp2 To Internet Via Cell Phone

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:58 AM

I have a niece who has a pc with Windows XP who would like to be able to connect to the internet through her cell phone, and as I understand this, it can be accomplished by installing a bluetooth card in the pc, and using a cell phone that is bluetooth compatible. Does anyone know if this works? Is it any faster than dial up?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:47 AM

Hi DC3,

I tried that last year with lots of problems. You have to have a "data" type connection. Very expensive here vrs standard dial up or even cable modem. They wanted $10/500K downloaded. That would be one night for me. I tried it for a month, but it never connected correctly. That was a year ago so things maybe better now... hopefully cheaper. It was a cool thought, but I opted out.

Good luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:48 AM

It is theoretically possible, I have done it with a laptop and a cellphone via a usb cable, but it is slow. You must have a data account over and above the regular telephone service as rigel mentioned. Right now the best option if you just want occasional Internet access away from home, work, school is wi-fi. If it is just getting e-mail, many cell phones can receive e-mails, palm and blackberry are particularly strong in this regard.

Advantages to cell phone Internet access
1 Wider range than wi-fi

Disadvantages
1 Hard to set up
2 cost
3 very slow
4 limited coverage, outside larger cities forget it

There are cell phone cards you can buy that plug into the laptops pc slot that are easier to set up, but other issues remain. In the next 2-3 years, ha they have been saying this for the last 5 years at least, this should all change.

Right now the easiest way is find a wi-fi hot spot. Most towns have coffee shops, hotels, McDonalds, bookstores, etc. that allow you to connect to Internet. A growing number of areas have wi-fi clouds over a city or a part of town that allow public access.

Advantages to wi-fi
1 usually free
2 close to broadband speeds
3 easy to set up

Disadvantages
1 limited coverage area, tho many smaller cities and in certain states rest stops have wi-fi
2 security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users