Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tryng to repair my pc with a windows cd

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Darragh

Darragh

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:05 PM

Hi
My pc is stuck in a continuous boot up loop. Windows does not boot. It says this file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system 32\hal.dll. I bought the pc with windows already installed and didn't receive a windows cd. I got my hands on a Windows XP Pro Bootable CD (with a key) and changed the BIOS setup so the pc boots from the cd. I want to use the cd to repair the pc.
I'm at the stage where "Windows XP Professional Setup" asks me to choose an item from a list (2 items on this list):
-: partition 1 (EISA Utilities)
C: partition 2 (unknown)

which item should I choose? And then what action should I take?:
to set up windows xp on the selected item press enter
to create a partition on the unpartitioned space press C
to delete the selected partition press D.

I'm assuming i should select C: partition 2 (Unknown) and setup windows xp on it. I want to try and retrieve everything on my pc. I dont want to "wipe" it. I just want to repair it. I've made assumptions before and it's gotten me into a pile of trouble. I figured I'd run it by some folks who know what they're talking about.
Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

If you had XP Home originally installed...you cannot use that CD to repair Windows...if you intend to do a repair install.

System manufacturer and model?

What caused/preceded the boot looping?

Can you boot into safe mode?

Hal.dll Corrupt Or Missing - http://www.merchantcircle.com/blogs/Fowler.Computer.603-343-8331/2009/2/Hal.dll-errors...What-to-try-when-Hal.dll-is-corrupted-or-missing./175165

Hal.dll Missing Or Corrupt - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00044897&lc=en&dlc=de&cc=de&lang=de&product=3962105

Missing Hal.dll - Missing Or Corrupt Hal.dll Error Message in Windows XP - Fix Hal.dll - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm

Louis

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

He should have no problem using it to get to the Recovery Console, though as you point out a repair installation is out of the question.

Edited by Allan, 10 February 2011 - 01:03 PM.

#5 Darragh

Darragh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

If you had XP Home originally installed...you cannot use that CD to repair Windows...if you intend to do a repair install.

System manufacturer and model?

What caused/preceded the boot looping?

Can you boot into safe mode?

Hal.dll Corrupt Or Missing - http://www.merchantcircle.com/blogs/Fowler.Computer.603-343-8331/2009/2/Hal.dll-errors...What-to-try-when-Hal.dll-is-corrupted-or-missing./175165

Hal.dll Missing Or Corrupt - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00044897&lc=en&dlc=de&cc=de&lang=de&product=3962105

Missing Hal.dll - Missing Or Corrupt Hal.dll Error Message in Windows XP - Fix Hal.dll - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm

Louis

Thanks for your reply. Since I can't use the windows cd that I have to do a repair install, is there any cd I could use to do a repair install. Do you know the name of that cd so i can search for it? Or is it the case that no matter what cd I use it's impossible for me to do a repair install?

Manufacturer: iQon 15.4" Widescreen Monitor. Model: iQ15.4MWS

I dont know what caused / preceded the boot looping.

I cant boot in safe mode and I cant boot with last known good configuration. It keeps looping back around.

I'd rather not do a system recovery to the factory settings because I have data on it I need... but I suppose I'll have to if I have no choice.
Cheers.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:43 AM

What system manufacturer...provided the recovery/restore CDs you have?

Louis

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:55 AM

Hi, please try this.

• Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • When prompted to choose a windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open

Type chkdsk /r and press enter.
This will check the volume for errors. Note, depending on the size of your disk, this may take a while.

When done type exit and press enter. Let me know if the error message is still the same.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#8 Darragh

Darragh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:15 AM

What system manufacturer...provided the recovery/restore CDs you have?

Louis

A friend gave me a copy of the Windows XP Pro Bootable CD (with a key. It's a copy and it doesn't specify a system manufacturer. Can I use any Windows XP CD-ROM ? I think I have the wrong cd because with the one I'm using I cant see a Recovery Console. I've tried tapping "R" a every stage but no luck.

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

You can follow the steps in my post with any XP CD. If you have no CD, let me know and I'll give you instructions on how to create a CD that allows you to access the Recovery Console.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#10 Darragh

Darragh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

You can follow the steps in my post with any XP CD. If you have no CD, let me know and I'll give you instructions on how to create a CD that allows you to access the Recovery Console.

Hi Elise
Can you give me instructions on how to create a CD that will allow me access the Recovery Console? Thank you.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:42 PM

<link removed>

Edited by elise025, 12 February 2011 - 02:56 AM.

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:58 AM

@ Allan, I removed your link since at BC we do not allow illegally hosted images containing Microsoft files (which are copyright-protected) to be used (as the RC iso that post links to, is). The following does the same but downloads the files directly from the MS download center.

@ Darragh,

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

regards, Elise

#13 Darragh

Darragh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

[*]When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

[*]When prompted to choose a windows installation, type 1 and press enter.

[*]When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

[*]A command prompt will open
[/list]
Type chkdsk /r and press enter.
This will check the volume for errors. Note, depending on the size of your disk, this may take a while.

When done type exit and press enter. Let me know if the error message is still the same.

Hi
I burned the cd. when I get to "Welcome to Setup" screen I press R and enter. At this stage a command prompt opens:

Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console.
The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.
C:\

Reading the instructions I expected to be prompted to choose a windows installation at this stage and I should hit 1 and enter. At the command prompt I hit 1 and enter but it's not recognised. Then I try to type chkdsk /r and press enter. A blue screen appears with the following message:

STOP: c0000139 {entry point not found}
The procedure entry point NtSerializeBoot could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll

What should I do now? Thanks

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

At the C:\> prompt, type dir and press enter. What do you get back?

regards, Elise

#15 Darragh

Darragh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:29 PM

At the C:\> prompt, type dir and press enter. What do you get back?

Directory of C:\
An error occurred during directory enumeration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users