Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Dvd Burner

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:34 AM

Hi I have been considering acauiring an external DVD burner, so I can burn DVDs from multiple comps. I was wondering if the quality of externals is different than internals and whether now was a good time to buy or wait for january? any useful info is appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:04 AM

Dear Goth,

A lot of people get external drives because of the lack of room to install.

I would get a good external and not go too cheap. Usually external's are built and housed tougher for transport but if you go cheap.

You know what will happen. Just like playing CD's but it will be a annoying pixel/sound stutter.

Of course internal's are a lot cheaper. Also, you will have to have the burning programs on all the computers you connect to.

On whether to buy now or later...that depends on what you are getting. All the specials are now but there could be something better coming out.

I trust all my burning to Sony. Pure and simple. Here is a cool product:Sony

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup: Sony
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:44 AM

If you have a newer computer with USB 2.0 or install a USB 2.0 PCCI card you should be fine. USB 1.0 and 1.1 are to slow to make an external DVD practical. I prefer internal as opposed to external, but either you should be fine.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Gothmog

Gothmog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

i doubt that i have USB 2.0 on this comp. it was built in Jan of 03. I think that 2.0 was out then but I didnt choose to add it. How can I check this? I only have the standard 2 onboard USB ports next to my mouse/keyboard and ethernet ports.

oh and i just read the specs for that DVD-burner junk, it looks nice (and what i expected the costs to be). Do all those different write speeds correspond to different media format types?
I seem to remember a salesman talking about a standards rivalry way back when they first hit the market, but my recollection is fuzzy

Edited by Gothmog, 16 December 2005 - 04:03 PM.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:31 PM

You will need to run at the speed the media you buy is rated at. You will receive errors if you try to over burn the disk, most of the time. Remeber the right tool for the right job. Don't waste a DVD blank where a CD will do. Your burner will write to CD also.
Check your Device Manager. If your USB bus has Enhanced next to it, you should have USB 2.0. A USB 2.0 PCI card is cheap though. Check with the vendor you by the drive from. He/she may seller them also. May even discount it. Don't pay over $20.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:16 PM

Dear Goth,

I know friends of mine prefer external burners because they all use Laptops and say it prevents errors due to heat.

I actually have one computer just for burning that also doubles for a backup. It currently has a bad mother board but will be up soon.

External drives are "really" for those who don't want to mess with the innards of a computer and/or for back up.

I hate for you to buy a $160 item that you find inconvenient.

Lets say you change your mind and want an internal drive instead. No problem. They are people here at BC so smart, I re-read my posts and use spell checker three times before I post a reply. I may be wrong but my spelling will be right. :thumbsup:

Here's the really cool thing, you will not find a group more friendly to deal with then these guys.

So we will help you step by step in anyway you go.

Let us know,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#7 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:34 PM

I had a 8x BTC Internal DVD +-RW, which has been damaged. I decided to go for an external DVD +-RW. It was an Emprex 16x, not expensive at all!.
Very happy with it, and have had no errors when burning on cd/dvd. It is quiet too. Works with USB 1.1(too slow for external drive though) and 2.0. Only disadvantage i can think of is it needs its own power supply.
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users