Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup/Recovery Utility

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyCo

JohnnyCo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:07 AM

Hello,

I am starting a small computer repair and virus removal business and am looking for a way to back up customer's computers before starting work. Ideally, I would like to be able to boot to a disc, clone the hard drive to an external USB drive and then be able to easily recover the image if needed.

Is there any free solution available and if not, what is a good, reasonably priced one?

Thanks,

Johnny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

Acronis True Image is the best (not free)
Macrium Reflect is the best free alternative

#3 JohnnyCo

JohnnyCo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:11 AM

Also, I would like to be able to run a diagnostic test on the machine that would provide a report that I could present to the customer. If anyone ha any free/reasonably priced diagnostic utility suggestions, they would be appreciated as well.

Thanks again!

#4 JohnnyCo

JohnnyCo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Allan, I have taken a quick look at these but not quite sure how they would work for a small business. Would I be able to create a boot disc an back up the customer's machine without installing software on their computer?

Would I be able to recover the image from the external drive without installing software?

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:39 AM

yes and yes, I have it and do both of these often.

#6 JohnnyCo

JohnnyCo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

Thanks guys, I will give Macrium a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users