Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Wallpaper

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 secret52

secret52

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:44 AM

I recently tripped a virus that was hidden on my computer. I don't know where it came from but i got rid of it. Only problem is I now have a permanent desktop wallpaper that cannot be changed. It's an annoying warning saying "your computer is infected with spyware. it is recommended that you remove it before continuing use." blah blah blah. I have tried everything that I know of to remove it and fix the problem but everything has failed. Any ideas on what is preventing me from fixing this and how it can be fixed? I appreciate any help from anyone in here. Microsoft is obviously no help to me since they want $35/question about this problem. What a rip. If all else fails, I guess I'll ahve to wipe the hard drive and re-install everything for the god-knows-how-many times. Please, I beg for help in fixing this problem so I don't have to do that. It's a pain when you have 27 programs to install all from seperate disks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:10 AM

To remove the infection I would like to refer you to the Highjack This forum here at BleepingComputer.com.

First: Read the Preparation Guide found HERE. It is very important that you follow ALL of the instructions found within.

Second: Post your system information along with a brief description of the problems you are having, and your Highjack This log in the Highjack This forum found HERE.

You are in good hands! But remember, the volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait for a response. It can sometimes take a few days.

Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:02 AM

Its probably a variant of Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud which is responsible for changing the Windows Desktop and using bogus security warnings (sometimes in big red letters) in an attempt to trick users into purchasing one of several fake antispyware program.

Example:

SPYWARE INFECTION. Your system is infected with spyware. Windows recommends you to use a spyware removal tool to prevent lost of important data...

Other symptoms include the desktop background hijacked to a suspicious black or blue screen, the infection of system files and numerous changes to your system's registry.

Smitfraud is often downloaded to a computer and installed by another malware program known as CWS.YEXE, which is included in a large number of underground web pages, adult sites or pirated software sites. As well as dropping other malware like Smitfraud on the computer, it also installs other malicious applications.

The best way for you to remove this is to follow Albert Frankenstein's instructions for getting help from the HJT Team experts.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users