Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I get a black screen when I start my computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sidhardtha

sidhardtha

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:38 AM

I get a black screen half of the time that I start my computer.

Could it be a hardware failure? My Dell computer is 4 years old. I have my computer on 21 hours a day.

I ran a 'Start Up Repair', A CHKDSK, an sfc /scannow, an Anti-virus and the Dell Diagnostics disk.

I have a Dell Dimension C521. I'm on vista 32-bit.

Thanks in advance.

lenova, I5 PROCESSOR, quad core, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HD, INTEL HD 530 GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS 10 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT, FIREFOX 64 BIT, BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, ZEMANA AND 'EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT' SCANNER.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:27 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Can you please tell me a little bit about your graphics card?

Is this an Integrated graphics card or an add-on card?

Make and model number of the graphics card if this is an add-on card.

I take it you are describing an issue where you start your computer up and there are times where absolutely nothing displays on the monitor, while other times it works fine. Is this what you are experiencing?

If this is the case and your graphics card is an add-on card, your problem may be early signs of a failing graphics card, or your contacts on your card have become corroded with oxidation.

You can sometimes correct oxidation build up issues by simply removing the card from its slot and re-inserting it again.
Please do not touch the gold colored contacts with your fingers, this can cause the acids from your body to corrode those contacts and cause issues down the line.

If your graphics card is integrated into the motherboard, you may have an issue with heat build up inside the computer, when the temperature hits a certain threshold, the graphics crap out on you.
This would be more noticeable when the computer has been running for a while.

You may need to do an annual cleaning to remove dust from your computer.
Please inspect the condition of the inside of your computer for dust issues and double check those hard to see areas as well.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 11 February 2011 - 06:30 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer. thank you

Can you please tell me a little bit about your graphics card? it came with my Dell.

Is this an Integrated graphics card or an add-on card? integrated

I take it you are describing an issue where you start your computer up and there are times where absolutely nothing displays on the monitor, while other times it works fine. Is this what you are experiencing? yes

If your graphics card is integrated into the motherboard, you may have an issue with heat build up inside the computer, when the temperature hits a certain threshold, the graphics crap out on you.
This would be more noticeable when the computer has been running for a while.

You may need to do an annual cleaning to remove dust from your computer.
Please inspect the condition of the inside of your computer for dust issues and double check those hard to see areas as well. ok. thanks

lenova, I5 PROCESSOR, quad core, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HD, INTEL HD 530 GRAPHICS CARD, WINDOWS 10 HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT, FIREFOX 64 BIT, BITDEFENDER TOTAL SECURITY, ZEMANA AND 'EMSISOFT EMERGENCY KIT' SCANNER.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

Your welcome, please let me know what you find when you inspect the inside of your computer and keep me posted, I would like to offer you some other solutions if possible.

If you need some instructions on how to clean out your computer, please let me know.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 sidhardtha

sidhardtha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

how do i clean out my computer?

Thank you for your effort.

#6 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

sidhardtha,

I know Bruce has some of his own ideas for cleaning out a computer (like never use a vacuum), but there's also a tutorial on this site. Click here to get there, or look for 'Cleaning the interior of your PC' in the tutorial section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users