Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 beth819

beth819

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:17 AM

Hello,

I can't get my computer to boot, it was working fine and never had any problems with it, it's a Sony vaio laptop, and all of a sudden my computer shut off. I checked the power cord and realized my surge protector got shut off so I turned it back on and my computer said "windows error recovery" and had options of how I want to boot. I chose start normally since I figured it was the power and while waiting for it to load all these file names started going across the screen. I thought it was a virus so I shut it down and then restarted again only to get a blank screen and the error message kept coming up. I tried booting in all the safe modes and in last known config but nothings working. Sometimes the blue screen will pop up as well if I let it keep trying to restart before turning it off.

I should also mention that I don't have the windows vista cd.

Also, before my computer shut off the first time, there was a windows update and instead of restarting I hit postpone because I was in the middle of something. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:23 AM

Click this link http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/36403/how-to-use-the-kaspersky-rescue-disk-to-clean-your-infected-pc/ read it and follow the instructions, you may need access to another computer to carry this out !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 beth819

beth819
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

Thanks, I will try this but after reading the directions it does nt say that it will boot normally after it cleans viruses? Also it says to click update center to download updates from their website but how will it do that with no Internet access?

Thanks

#4 beth819

beth819
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

I tried this and put it on a cd, but it didn't work. When the computer started, the message to press any key never came up and it went straight to the "windows error recovery" screen. I restarted again and "pressed any key" before the error screen appeared but nothing happened either. I also tried to start windows normally again and nothing happened.

#5 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:45 PM

Can you boot the comp at all, if so have you tried pressing F8 continuosly on boot and when you get to advanced users screen, scroll down to "safe mode with networking" then download http://www.eset.com/online-scanner and install it, then run it !

Or click this link http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/43090/heres-a-super-simple-trick-to-defeating-fake-anti-virus-malware/ scroll right down to the bottom of the page, have a good read and follow some of the instructions.

Edited by doinmeedin, 10 February 2011 - 03:50 PM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#6 beth819

beth819
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

No, I cannot boot at all. I just found the BIOS by pressing F2 and I changed it to the internal optical drive (which I'm assuming is the CD Rom drive?) and I put the usb drive 2nd. That didn't work, but then I put the cd in my other working computer and it wont open up the kasperky file either. The computer doesn't know how to open an iso file? So I am downloading imgburn now as your link suggests and I am going to try to burn it to a cd again to see if that works.

#7 beth819

beth819
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

I burned the kasperky to a cd and it did as the instructions say, the problem was when it's supposed to get to the welcome screen there is a warning message that says the computer was not shut down properly and if i continue it will cause damage to my system file, and then asks if i want to continue, skip, or restart. So I pressed restart and it did the same thing again, so I took the cd out.

Any other suggestions? It seems that by switching the bios to the cd rom that works, but maybe another tool to load onto a cd instead of the kasperky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users