Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malfunctioning mystery drivers. Stumped!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 awsugar

awsugar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:06 AM

I hope someone can help me because I am completely stumped! I noticed these malfunctioning drivers, but I have no idea what they are for or where they came from. I googled and got absolutely zero results. After not being able to find ANY information, I made a restore point and uninstalled them. They were gone for a few hours or so after rebooting but reappeared! Now it's multiple drivers and I still have no clue of their origin or purpose. Nothing else seems to be affected and the computer is running the same as always. I would still like to get rid of them, though, and I am at a complete lost. I ran virus and malware scans and both were clear.

Posted Image

Edited by awsugar, 10 February 2011 - 03:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:17 AM

The entries in question seem to be related to Microsoft Security Essentials.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msescan/thread/05886700-30ac-4512-a943-7221bf0f1a90

#3 awsugar

awsugar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:21 AM

Thank you for the link. Now at least I know it's a semi-common problem. Am I reading that thread correctly in that there is no way to eliminate them from being left behind? Just keep uninstalling them manually?

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

I get the impression that every time MSE updates, the old 'update engines' are deleted and replaced with new ones for the update process. So even if you delete what's there now, the next time MSE updates it will install new ones. If these entries are causing no performance issues there is really no reason to remove them as they will just come back. This may be a flaw with the latest version of MSE and will be addressed by Microsoft with a program update that will delete them after the update. MSE has probably always installed these for the update but then deleted them after their use. I no longer use MSE so I can't really say for sure. I prefer AVG and use the 'free' version because it scans for and removes most Tracking Cookies. Just paranoid about Tracking Cookies, I guess. The only annoying thing about AVG is that it now includes something called PC Analyzer. PC Analyzer is a Registry Cleaner that can potentially harm your system and there is no way to totally remove or de-activate it. If you want to continue using MSE, I'm told it is a very good security program and many members here like it and recommend it. So, other than the glitch in the Device Manager entries, your system is well protected. If you want to investigate further, you could post a question or browse the Microsoft Answers forum for other users with the same concerns. I hope I've answered your question in a professional manner and wish you luck with Windows 7 and your PC. George.

#5 awsugar

awsugar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

Yes, thank you so much, you've been extremely helpful! Now that I know they are safe and don't indicate a larger problem going on with the computer, I will just leave them alone until Microsoft fixes the issue. Thank you again and have a good weekend!

Edited by awsugar, 11 February 2011 - 02:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users